What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting step

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
I'm about to paint the step on my Vans RV7-A before installing it on the fuselage. I'm a novice painter and am looking for advice about best practices.

There's some black layer on the steel steps that I've read is called mill scale. I've sanded most of it off. Do I need to get it perfect to avoid paint flaking? Would sand blasting be easier?

I figure I'll then prime with Rustoleum self-etching primer from a rattle can.

Then I need to paint. I'm expecting to paint the plane's exterior mostly yellow with black highlights, but haven't picked out paints or decided if I'm doing it myself or taking it to a shop. I figure the step will probably be yellow, matching the exterior. I'm concerned about getting the step to match if the paints differ. Should I just prime and wait until the exterior painting to also paint the step, or will I regret not fully painting the step at this stage? If I do paint now, what exterior paints have worked well?

What kind of non-slip pad or paint works well on the step?

Thanks!

David

I would not do rattle can on the step, as it gets a lot of wear. The rattle can paint does not stick as well as epoxy primer.

I would just sand and prime with rattle can before installation and your painter will sand it off at painting time or you could do the same if you paint. For the long haul, I would want an epoxy primer on that part. Clearly you want to prime the hidden parts of the step. Rattle can paint can also be removed with laquer thinner or acetone.

I used a small piece of the wing walk material on top of the step. It peels off at the leading edge after a few 100 hours, but easy to replace.

Good practice says sand through the mill scale to bare metal and get paint on it before it oxidizes. THe mill scale provides a good amount of protection from oxidation and it will flash rust quickly once it's gone.

Larry

Last edited:
On my last plane I was lazy and shot Rust-oleum Ultracolor gloss white rattle can on the step and am very suprised how well it is holding up.

By far the best method would be send it out for powder coating (as mentioned). Second best would be using a good polyurethane paint, either would be very robust.

The one thing you DO NOT do is get the step chromed. Makes it brittle.

Back