What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove the rear inner cap from the crankshaft

filiperosa

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am changing my crankshaft from a CS prop to a fixed pitch prop. I should make a hole or remove the inner centre cap. I do not have a so long drill to make a hole on it.

Can someone advise me on the easiest and best way to make it? I try to push it forward from the front but it did not move. I did not apply much force afraid to damage something.

Thanks,
Filipe

0b2719d7-ecb3-4f47-817f-b39751d0fd47.png

Filipe,

Don't drill it, the drilling debris is too hard to remove completely. Take a long, sharp-pointed punch and put a hole in it. You can then use a slide-hammer with a threaded end to pull it out. It should come out easily. Be careful to avoid damaging that oil-transfer tube that extends across the opening. Some people just punch a hole in the plug and leave it in but I prefer to remove it.

I agree with the previous post. One word of caution, if you damage that oil tube, the crank must be removed and sent in for repair. I did all the prep work for removal of my inner cap and hired the local mx dude to remove it and set the outer cap. He had made some "special tools" to remove it with his rather small slide hammer. Dan

Thank you!
I just punched a hole. Tried to remove the cap but was stuck so I decided to leave it like that. Do not want to damage anything.

13c4b1c9-f929-40f9-b9ee-db2ed32e5a86.png

You don't have to remove it. You just need a hole to relieve pressure.

Thanks guys!!

Yes, it is epoxy primary but It is very easy sanded down. However, I decided to apply because it protect it before I use the engine.

I started with a 1/4 extension with a small Phillips head on the tip. Moved up to a bigger head, moved to the 3/8 extension with a big Philips slot and at the end used the 3/8 extension itself. If you want I can post photos of it.

Thanks,
Filipe

Back