What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Molex

salto

Well Known Member
After purchasing the wiring harness from Vans and installing it.. Very nicely made.. I have spent far too much time trying to find the 'other' ends for the molex plugs. Vans Web site doesn't seem to have these in in electrical section, Stein who I believe made the harness don't seem to list the plugs they used so I can order the other end which in my view should have come with the harness.
Are there any suggestions please.

Salto -

Here in the States there is a company named Mouser and another called Digi-Key that carries a very complete supply of Molex connector products.

Here is a good starting place to find the part numbers for connector style and associated pins you are looking for.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/group?key=wire_to_wire_connectors&channel=products

Once you know the Molex part numbers you are looking for, you can then purchase through Mouser or Digi-Key. I suggest you first find out the part numbers prior to going to Mouser or Digi-Key otherwise your eyes will glaze over looking through the listings of their stocked items.

http://www.mouser.com/

Also the link for Digi-Key.

http://www.digikey.com/

I usually order through Mouser because the parts typically ship immediately.

Hope this helps you.

Happy building,

Email SteinAir

Salto,

You might try emailing SteinAir and asking them if they make the harnesses you bought from Van's. I've found them to be very helpful in the past. I'm sure they can help you if you just ask.

I think I'm missing something. The wiring harness ends in Molex connectors at the baggage wall bulkhead that match the Molex connectors already on the included tail cone wiring. The connectors at the wings match the Molex connectors that are already on the included wing harnesses. The control cable ends end in Molex connectors that match the control stick harnesses that Vans sells. The panel end of the harness ends in bare wires that connect to switches, Dsub pins etc that are entirely dependent on how you are doing the panel. You may still need some Molex connectors (canopy connection, extra wiring like OAT probe but only a couple. Sources above work - Fry's electronics had them on the shelf.

As I have posted in the past, the RV-14 wiring kit is, in my opinion, more aggregation than value. Just trying to do pin to pin on the prints is a headache. Another example is the bulkhead molex commenctors on the aft side of the baggage compartment. These not be there at all so don't use them. Just run the wire to the tailcone.

Get your own male and female Molex and D connectors and wire it like any other kit. Whatever you do first cut off the tiny plugs that connect to the roll and pitch trim servos. These plugs are amazingly fragile. I chased my tail for three days to figure out why the elevator trim would not calibrate with the EFIS. This tiny connector had an intermittent. It and the wing servos got real Molex connectors - problem solved.

As I have posted in the past, the RV-14 wiring kit is, in my opinion, more aggregation than value. Just trying to do pin to pin on the prints is a headache. Another example is the bulkhead molex commenctors on the aft side of the baggage compartment. These not be there at all so don't use them. Just run the wire to the tailcone.

Get your own male and female Molex and D connectors and wire it like any other kit. Whatever you do first cut off the tiny plugs that connect to the roll and pitch trim servos. These plugs are amazingly fragile. I chased my tail for three days to figure out why the elevator trim would not calibrate with the EFIS. This tiny connector had an intermittent. It and the wing servos got real Molex connectors - problem solved.

I'm using this method for those connections in the tail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8DCvBV2V4M

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess the two areas that I'm finding difficult to track down the 'mate' for the other end of the wiring harness are the position lights on the wing tip and the control column. I would like to utilise the receptacles for the plugs that are part of kit and because these are a specific size locating the right mate for the harness plugs is quite a challenge. Of course I could change the plugs out and ignore the receptacle. Part numbers for the various plugs on harness would be helpful.
Thanks Guys. 👍

The control stick connectors are Molex Mini-Fit part numbers 43020-1200 (female) and 43025-1200 (male). The connectors do not include pins so you will need the corresponding mini-fit pins to go with them.

The control stick connectors are Molex Mini-Fit part numbers 43020-1200 (female) and 43025-1200 (male). The connectors do not include pins so you will need the corresponding mini-fit pins to go with them.

These plugs will not work if you want to use an Infinity grip (not enough pins). A D connector is fine for this application.

Carl

Thank you very much Stoney that is a great help. As stated before the Digikey site does tend to make the eyes glaze over.
If what I have ordered is not correct I'll get the right one using those numbers.
Thanks again.

I believe all the connectors you are referring to are part of the "fuselage" harness. WH-00125. This harness will mate with all the existing connectors at tail/wing roots/sticks, etc.. and bring it all up behind the panel. Unless you intended to craft this portion on your own?!

Thanks Nick, nice job on the harness by the way 👍
You are quite correct with what you say however an issue arises with wiring the control stick grip of choice as you need to run the wires yourself so the male end of the plug would be handy and same goes for the navigation lights.
The other issue I have run into is I need to de-pin the harness plug for the control stick as I can't get it through to the stick even though I notched out the bulkhead holes. So suggestions for future harnesses would be to leave off the control stick wiring plug leaving it free in the bag with its mate and also the navigation light male plug with some pins free in the bag.

Back