What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it possible to convert a 9a to a 9 and vice versa?

mizer2167

I was wondering if it were possible to convert from conventional gear to nose gear on a -9?

If so, is it an involved or difficult process?

Anything is possible. I bought my fuselage set up for conventional gear and I changed it to nose gear. It wasn't that big of a deal but the plane wasnt finished. The wing mount bolts are a PAIN with the gear mounts being in the way, but it is possible to make it work.

Vans has a kit all set up for you to purchase. Basically it is new motor mount, gear, and wing bolts. The steps are a pain because you have to drill out the floor panels to fit them. There are a couple holes from the conventional gear that you will have to deal with, but not a big deal.

One decision you will need to make is if you want to take the rear gear bracket out. I didn't. It adds a pound or two to the far back, but it looked like too much trouble to take it out. I have thoughts of putting a small wheel back there just to make people wonder!

Have fun and get the plane you want - not what anyone else thinks is best.

I was wondering if it were possible to convert from conventional gear to nose gear on a -9?

If so, is it an involved or difficult process?

Yes. I converted my 7A to a 7.
Essentially the same.
You need to buy, new engine mount, gear legs, tw mount & assembly.
Others will buy up your old engine mount, nose gear & gear legs.
The conversion is not difficult except removing the old gear weldments, if you have fuel lines & wiring running through them. Also, the cowling may need adjustments as the engine may not seat exactly as before.

I'm based at KCLW if you'd like to get together to discuss it. Send me a PM.

Also, search the archives as there's been plenty of discussions on the topic.

Last edited:
While you can do it, it is not like a Sportsman or Kitfox where you can easily go back and forth.

Or you could sell the 9 and buy a 9A.....

Otherwise it seems like an awful lot of work for not much return.

I went from a flying 9A to a 9. The reverse should be similar, although I think it might be a bit more difficult overall. You need a new engine mount, gear leg weldments (if going from 9 to 9A), and gear legs (3). Need to remove the tailwheel & spring (easier to leave the weldment in place unless you are still building), and probably move the brake lines around. Also need to cut holes in the fuselage for the gear legs to mate with the weldments and a slot in the cowl for the nosegear leg. Depending on configuration and whether there is interference with the nosegear socket on the engine mount, you may also need to shift a couple things around on the firewall. Adding steps would be optional.

Probably a month or two worth of work (on a part-time basis) but could be done in two weeks if you worked on it pretty hard. In my mind, the most difficult part is going to be adding the gear leg weldments because of the need to pull the wing bolts and working in that confined space.

Cheers,
Greg

Call vans, they have all the parts you will need listed for the conversion. According to them its a pretty common thing. I have a 9a kit but it will be built as a 9.

Last edited:
gotta ask, why would anybody want to put a training wheel on their RV? :D

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Training wheel

Because some of of us are not skilled in the art of flying a tail wheel aircraft, but in our unskilled way still flying RV aircraft.

gotta ask, why would anybody want to put a training wheel on their RV? :D

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Why would anyone build a plane that you can't sit next to someone? We build the plane we want and really don't care whatever others want cause it isn't our busniess.:D

Because some of of us are not skilled in the art of flying a tail wheel aircraft, but in our unskilled way still flying RV aircraft.

I had to laugh when I read this. Yesterday I let my father-in-law try and land my -9. While he is a long time pilot, he has zero tailwheel time.

It was a humbling experience for him but he is convinced that with a few hours of training, he will have it nailed. (I would have to agree with him.)

Don't let the tailwheel thing frighten you. It takes us all about 10 hours +/- to learn to land a tricycle gear airplane and about 10 hours +/- to learn how to handle a taildragger and who among us couldn't use another 10 hours of training?

If someone wants a taildragger, then by all means buy, build, or modify your plane into one.

Here is a little secret about taildraggers, with almost 1,000 hours of tailwheel time, I can assure it doesn't take a superman to fly one.

I have 9A gear weldments and legs

I went from a 9a to a 9 I have the main gear weldments and legs that have never been used. Make offer if you need them.

Back