What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AHRS mounting

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
A couple questions for you guys.

20-03 figure 2 has you flute the small tabs for the AHRS mounting bracket. Why are you fluting a flat piece of aluminum? Is it to create more of a pinch on the AHRS unit?

Is anyone installing a second AHRS unit and is there any reason I cannot just order the W-000012 parts and put them in the right wing? I think I can bend the flange on the W0012A 180 degrees to ensure the unit will sit flat. I don't know if that will put too much strain and weaken the aluminum too much.

What is the larger hole on the inboard side of the left bottom skin access hatch for?

Thanks as always

20-03 figure 2 has you flute the small tabs for the AHRS mounting bracket. Why are you fluting a flat piece of aluminum? Is it to create more of a pinch on the AHRS unit?

Yes, so it is solidly mounted with no play.

Bending the flange 180 degree will likely cause it to crack.

Large hole is for OAT sensor.

ADAHRS

Hey Scott,

Is that bracket for a specific ADAHRS, or is it generic? I had heard that Garmin recommended it not be on the wing, then I heard, no that is where it is supposed to go by Van's. Thanks.

Actual testing has been done to confirm that it will work with all the avionics brands that will be offered... G3X being one of those.

Hello Stoney,

Experience has shown that mounting the GSU 25 ADAHRS in the inboard portion of the wing should not pose a problem. In fact we just finished a program with another type of aircraft whose fuselage was very prone to high vibration, but whose wing was relatively quiet. The physical effects of putting the AHRS in the wing only become problematic when you start talking about aircraft with very long wingspan - much longer than any RV, even the RV-11!

- Matt

I added a second ADAHRS mounting bracket in the next outboard wing bay. Was a simple install and the one foot "pairing" harness from Dynon reaches and makes for an easy wiring solution. Much easier than going to the other wing because you would need a "mirror image" bracket to have a level mount. :)

Back