What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Chapter 27-04 & 05 mistake in plans

Aussieflyer

At page 27-04 step 2, the plans call out dimpling the web of the firewall except as shown on figure 2. The battery box holes on F 01401B-R (Top of firewall) in the firewall are not called out as being exempt from dimpling. So we dimpled them. They should not have been dimpled.

Likewise at step 5 it calls for the countersinking of the firewall angle F-01401F-R, there are two holes (top set of 2 of the do not rivet call outs) that are applicable to the battery box. We countersunk those. They should not have been countersunk.

Further at page 27-05, step 2 it calls for machine countersinking of all holes of the F-01401D Firewall Angle that match the firewall sides. 6 of those holes match the battery box. We countersunk those. They should not be countersunk.
>
At page 28-10 at step 3, you will note that it calls out machine countersinking the battery box holes to fit the firewall. The AN426A rivet heads are to fit flush with the battery box. The firewall and angles should not have been dimpled or countersunk as described in the plans

I suggest you put the battery box on the firewall and mark out the relevant rivet holes that should not be dimpled or countersunk. If you take my advice and do not dimple and countersink at 27-04 & 27-05 as cited above you will find you will have clean and flat firewall surface ready to accept a machine countersunk battery box and everything will be fine, otherwise you will end up as I did (following the plans) a minor stuff up. Vans have suggested I can dimple the battery box instead of countersinking - the battery box is made out of .050 6061-T6 its a bit thick to make a good match up I'm afraid. Hope you don't get caught like I did.

This has all been discussed hear a while back. You can do a search and find it, I do believe Tim Olsen was the first to post of the error.

Alan,
Post what Revision level the drawing is you are working from and I will look into it tomorrow (as mentioned, I think at least some of these have already bee taken care of with previously issued updates)

Follow-up

The plans errors mentioned in this thread have been noted previously and are part of a Section 27 revision that is about to be released.
For any builder that has dimpled the holes in the firewall, dimple countersinking the battery box works just fine (I previously did some tests to verify) since it is made of 6061-T6 which is softer than 2024-T3. If you use a C-frame tool it will dimple quite nicely and the resulting box installation will probably be even stronger than if it was machine countersunk (if that is a concern to you).

Countersink Firewall angle F-01401F-R

Page 27-04 Rev 2. Step 4 directs to countersink Firewall angles to fit the dimples in the firewall. F-01401F-R is shown in Fig. 2 as "Do Not Rivet" the 5 & 6th holes from the top of F-01401F-R, however the holes should be shown as the 6 & 7th holes from the top of F-01401F-R to align with the non-dimpled holes for the battery box. Its hard to tell from the drawing, but the top hole of F-01410F-R will align with the 2nd hole from the top left corner of F-01401B-R.

Page 27-04 Rev 2. Step 4 directs to countersink Firewall angles to fit the dimples in the firewall. F-01401F-R is shown in Fig. 2 as "Do Not Rivet" the 5 & 6th holes from the top of F-01401F-R, however the holes should be shown as the 6 & 7th holes from the top of F-01401F-R to align with the non-dimpled holes for the battery box. Its hard to tell from the drawing, but the top hole of F-01410F-R will align with the 2nd hole from the top left corner of F-01401B-R.

Just got here and was about to post the same. Cheers!

Back