What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimum Oil Temp for Takeoff

sailvi767

Well Known Member
I am getting some conflicting advise on the minimum oil temp for TO on a cold engine. I have been using 130 degrees of the AFM2500. Others are telling me 100 is fine and one person even said as soon as you see a rise in temp your good to go. Suggestions? It takes a long time on a cold morning to get to 130 at idle RPM.

George

I use 100 deg F. Not sure why. I also use an engine preheater (oil sump) on cold days.

I use 100 deg F. Not sure why. I also use an engine preheater (oil sump) on cold days.

Same here (100 deg F.), and the same for many others I know. A couple of them are good mechanics...........and maybe they really know something..

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I think the Lyc operating manual says the thing about noticeable temperature rise. Didn't say what it was rising FROM though.

Here is how I do it.

Dont know if this is the correct way or not, but I wait for at least 80 degrees to do my mag check/prop check. By the time I am done with those, and taxi to position, the engine is at 100-----which is what I use for a min temp.

IIRC, that temp of 100 is from my student days long ago.

I've never read a Lyc manual all the way through, but I'm guessing it would be in there somewere. Continental says that if the engine (Carbureted O-300) accelerates smoothly, it's ready to go. Personally, I wait until the oil temp is off of the the 100 DegF bottom peg.

Lycoming Operator's Manual....

Section 3 Operating Instructions

5. Ground Running and Warm-Up

e. Engine is warm enough for take-off when the throttle can be opened without the engine faltering.

From the (I)O-540 operation manual:

"Engine is warm enough for take-off when the throttle can be opened without the engine faltering."

I always wait til the cylinder temps are above 200 degrees before doing a run up. These days oil temp is about 75 at that time. By the time I taxy out oil temps are about 100. Not saying I'm correct, just what I do.

good for me, good for my engine too.
at9jeep.jpg

I think the 100 degrees is for the P&W 1340, If they weren't brought up to temp. before take off they would blow out the front case seal. You must have old Mechanics. ;)

My Superior manual says 75 degrees but I usually go around 90.

Yup, my superior manual says 75 also. I wait until 85, I've done 83. I think seeing 210+ on the heads means more. I push in the throttle doing the mag check and if it doesn't stumble I tell myself it's ready to fly. I laugh at these people that sit at the end of the run way for 15 minutes waiting for that perfect oil temp. Mine rarely sees over 145 on a normal flight in the winter anyway. Which I think min oil temps by superior again is I think 130. I don't think it's all that important guys and gals. Of course again I do fly every day and I have my airplane plugged in 24/7. I have no water condinsation in the engine as well. I do oil changes at 50hrs and the oil always, even at the end looks real good,not black. I also cut open the oil filters and there is nothing in there as well.

The truth lies in the lycoming manual. If you missed this in operating your engine what else have you missed?

Section 3 Operating Instructions

5. Ground Running and Warm-Up

e. Engine is warm enough for take-off when the throttle can be opened without the engine faltering.

I confirm the above is out of the Lycoming manual.

I also like the prop to cycle smoothly.

Typically my O-320 has no problem at 70 F when I use multi-weight oil like I do all the time. When I used straight weight oil, it wanted to be at 100 F.

Back