What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single Screen G3X without EIS display?

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Is it possible to configure a single screeen G3X to display just the Air/Attitude data and the map WITHOUT the engine instruments? Goal is to maximize the real estate for the map portion of a GDU-375 portrait G3X display used for BACKUP attitude/altitude/airspeed etc.

Absolutely, thats basically how I have mine configured.
You can go to 'split screen' mode on the PFD and show PFD with map or any of the other choices
(you can do the same with the 370, thats what I used to have)

IMG_7793-650.jpg

Last edited:
Single Screen

Walt, from your photo, it appears that you have 2 G3X screens. Just wanted to make sure you realize that I am talking about only a single screen. My panel has a 10" Dynon Skyview and a Garmin GDU-375 (not part of a G3X system). I am trying to decide on how best to add a backup attitude indicator - enable my GDU-375 by moving it to a G3X (but giving up map real estate), or install something like a G5 which requires more panel hacking and a less than optimum mounting location (passenger side).

Walt, from your photo, it appears that you have 2 G3X screens. Just wanted to make sure you realize that I am talking about only a single screen. My panel has a 10" Dynon Skyview and a Garmin GDU-375 (not part of a G3X system). I am trying to decide on how best to add a backup attitude indicator - enable my GDU-375 by moving it to a G3X (but giving up map real estate), or install something like a G5 which requires more panel hacking and a less than optimum mounting location (passenger side).

If you turn it into a G3X then it will always have the attitude/PFD ind on top but you can use the lower half as a map or any the other of the available screens. The map ends up being kinda small at that point though. If you like the map on the 375 now I'd probably go with the G5 where the Hobbs and ELT reside or if you have room on the LH side.

If you turn it into a G3X then it will always have the attitude/PFD ind on top but you can use the lower half as a map or any the other of the available screens. The map ends up being kinda small at that point though. If you like the map on the 375 now I'd probably go with the G5 where the Hobbs and ELT reside or if you have room on the LH side.

Yeah, that's kind of my quandary. Not enough room on the left side of the panel for a G5. Trying to decide if the map portion on the lower part of the G3X would be big enough. I have kind of gotten used to using the whole thing for all my mapping, traffic, etc. I don't use the Dynon map - although I could.

Question: If you only have the PFD without the engine instruments on the upper part of the single screen, how much of the screen does the map portion get? Is it truly 1/2 or something less?

I think its about split in half or a little less, here's a pic of one I have in the shop but it has eng stuff on the top.
I turned off the MFD to get to the back-up mode.

2018042816054532-IMG_0285-X2.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the photo Walt. Guess I will just have to pick my poison as they say. Seems like G5 vs G3X upgrade (GSU25/GMU11) is about a wash $$ wise. Just have to decide about the different functionality and panel cutting requirements of the 2 alternatives.

Back