What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 Canopy removal

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I am going to be finishing off the canopy a couple of days and wondered if the flying guys can answer a question I have regarding the canopy. There are little covers that go over the canopy hinges. Is it possible to remove the canopy with those covers in place?

No Luck

I tried removing the canopy leaving the hinge covers on. No luck, they got damaged. Luckily I got sufficient materials in the kit to build spares. Suggest everyone build the spares, paint them and wait for a rainy day when you might need them. I don't plan removing my canopy again.

They will definitely get ruined if you do not remove them before removing the canopy. Then again, if you do remove them, there's probably a >90% chance that you'll ruin them too, so like the other poster said, you may want to make multiples and have them on hand, and paint them to match as well.

Is it possible to remove the canopy with those covers in place?

Yes, but it will destroy the covers.

They are intended to pop away when the canopy jettisons.

If you don't want them damaged, you need to insert a small pin in the lock release hole, push down very slightly and then slide the cover aft.

Back