What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New EAA chapter at Albert Whitted in St Petersburg

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
A new EAA Chapter is forming at the Albert Whitted airport in St Petersburg. Bill Northwall, an RV8A owner and myself are hosting a formation meeting at the office of St Pete Air at Albert Whitted on Saturday, February 11, 2017.

We envision an active chapter that will be very RV friendly, If you can join us please let us know by sending your name and contact information to me here or to Bill at [email protected]

This should be an asset to the RV community in the St Pete area. I hope to see you there.

Tony Johnson

EAA 282 (Clearwater Airpark) Welcomes You!

Tony --- good job getting things going again! We will all enjoy and benefit from the additional participation in all things "Experimental"!

Ron Simonton

Thanks

Tom,

Thanks for spreading the word. We are looking forward to working with other EAA chapters in sharing resources, knowledge and friendship.

Ron,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am a member of the Clearwater EAA chapter 282. The members there who I have talked to are very supportive of a St Pete chapter. I plan to learn a lot from the guys at 282.

Last edited:
Hey Tony,
It's been a long time.

I received a letter from Bill & I'm planning on attending the meeting & catching up.

I'm based at CLW now, right across from Ron on RV Alley. We have 5 RVs out of the 10.

Good news Tony

A new EAA Chapter is forming at the Albert Whitted airport in St Petersburg. Bill Northwall, an RV8A owner and myself are hosting a formation meeting at the office of St Pete Air at Albert Whitted on Saturday, February 11, 2017.

We envision an active chapter that will be very RV friendly, If you can join us please let us know by sending your name and contact information to me here or to Bill at [email protected]

This should be an asset to the RV community in the St Pete area. I hope to see you there.

Tony Johnson

Been a long time since we talked last.
I spent some time with Bill recently and got the whole story. Hope to be able to fly over that morning and support the revitalized chapter.
Have you set the time yet?

Best of luck getting this started again.

Looking forward to seeing you guys

Dan and Carl,

I look forward to seeing you both at the meeting. St Pete Air has kindly agreed to let us meet in their spaces.

Tony

will they suspend the landing fee for the chapter members?

Hey Fred,
If you request to taxi to the southeast ramp(not by the main terminal), I've never been charged a landing fee.
Alert via unicom, you'll be attending an EAA meeting.
If parking at the main terminal & going into the Hangar restaurant, they will waive the fee.

Last edited:
i've went to the restaurant 4 times in the last 3 months for lunch and was charged each time the landing fee. so were the other 15 pilots that went there with me.

I was charged to use the restaurant as well.

Chris

Wow!. I have never been charged.
Maybe Tony & Bill can chime in as I was going to fly in also.
Can you guys get a waiver? Otherwise, I suspect your attendance will be greatly impacted.
I will call the FBO for clarification and report back.

Update: I just talked to Sheltair at SPG.
$10 landing fee
$5 if you go to the restaurant.
Landing fee waived for 5 gals fuel.(5.84/gl, about 2.00/gl more than nearby airports)
No waivers for anyone, even if you park on the south ramp. They don't care. You land, you pay. :(
Not good for any fly-ins. They must have changed the policy when Sheltair took over.

Last edited:
Landing fee

I regret that the FBO is charging a landing fee even if you don't go to the restaurant. That kinda puts a damper on things. I had hoped that we could have some fly outs from there but it looks like the landing fee would present a problem.

We are planning on having meetings at the restaurant. Bill Northwall and I spoke to the manager there and arranged that. That would reduce the landing fee to $5 but that still sux.

it is been $5 for the past 4 times i went there. we go in with 10 to 20 airplanes at once and they still charge all . we don't go there very often any more. nor buy fuel there.

I decided to drive to KSPG. It's almost the same distance to drive from my house to KCLW where my 7 is located.

It was a good meeting with 39 people in attendance. Many from other chapters where in attendance and were willling to help chapter 47 get reborn.

Glad the EAA Chapter is reviving, but, on KSPG fee?

I can understand how an FBO operator can charge a "ramp fee" for space they lease, from the city, but do not understand how they can charge a "landing fee" for the runway? ---- maybe just a misuse of terminology?

Anyway, when I fly to use the restaurant, I just consider it a "cover charge"!

Take care,

Ron

Back