What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon/Event5/Voltage

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I flew my airplane for the first time since installing the GPS2020. Immediately on rotation I got a voltage warning. I leveled off and started looking at the readings. Voltage was pegged. I pulled the power back and it soon thereafter it went back into the yellow at around 12V. Amps were showing -6. I turned back to the airport and landed and at about touchdown I got an audible warning. I selected the warning flag button and it said something like check event warning in setup screen. That screen gave me an internet address to report an Event 5 which I have done however I don't have a clue what that is.

I am not sure the voltage and the event5 or even related. I am sure I will hear from Dynon on the event 5 however any input on the voltage issue would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Event 5 is a internal issue that affected a batch of hardware. It does not lead to any incorrect readings. We'll eventually want to have that screen back here to fix it, but it's not crucial.

We only report the system event 5 when on the ground which is why you saw it on touchdown.

No idea what is up with your voltage. The input will read up to 36V- how high did it actually go? You can always pull a datalog to find out what happened and when. There's a small chance that if you really did odd things to the wiring of the 2020 you could cause this, but I don't see how you wouldn't have that issue 100% of the time and how the 2020 would still be working with the wiring error.

I saw a slight discharge on the flight prior to installing the 2020GPS so there not related. I saw a reading of 16V however most of the time I was focused on flying.

Event 5 is a internal issue that affected a batch of hardware. It does not lead to any incorrect readings. We'll eventually want to have that screen back here to fix it, but it's not crucial.

We only report the system event 5 when on the ground which is why you saw it on touchdown.

No idea what is up with your voltage. The input will read up to 36V- how high did it actually go? You can always pull a datalog to find out what happened and when. There's a small chance that if you really did odd things to the wiring of the 2020 you could cause this, but I don't see how you wouldn't have that issue 100% of the time and how the 2020 would still be working with the wiring error.

The aircraft is going in the paint shop in a week so I will pull the display out once I fly it over to the paint shop and send it to you.

A bad connection in the wire going to terminal "C" of the voltage regulator can cause unusual voltage or current readings. Here is an easy test:
Pull the wire off from terminal "C" and connect it to an automotive lamp such as the 211-2. Connect the other end of the lamp to ground. Turn on the master switch and measure the voltage across the lamp. It should be equal to battery voltage.
Putting a load on a circuit makes it easier to find bad connections.

Thanks Joe, I found the wire you identified laying loose outside of the connector. I will be re-installing it tomorrow. Last week I replaced the floats in the carbs and I guess during that repair I must have dis-logged the yellow wire that goes to C from the connector. Nice to have a hard find vs. chasing grimlins.

Back