What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

40-10 Wingtip Lights

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I cannot quite figure out what I am trying to accomplish in steps 2 thru 7. Obviously there is no fuel in the wingtips, so why are we using tank sealer (also know as devils snot)? Also, I cannot quite decide what I am supposed to be accomplishing with the narrow and wide electrical tapes. Can someone enlighten me?

I believe the tank sealant is to seal up the fairing to the wing tip. It's tough, pliable, and paintable. The electrical tape lets you get a neat fillet of sealant with a clean edge, so you're not trying to scrub sealant off of everywhere later on. You use narrow tape to closely follow the line of the edge of the fairing without puckering, then wider tape to mask off the metal.

narrow and wide electrical tapes

narrow allows for tight curves and wide electrical tapes makes for an edge to to protect the skin from sealant application. The sealant can be sanded before painting. Good Luck
Rich

As I remember, and it has been about 6 years ago, the narrow tape goes on the fiberglass part and is narrow so the rivet holes are exposed for riveting.
CTT_3650-M.jpg

CTT_3666-M.jpg

Last edited:
I thought you MUST be wrong Tony, checked page 40-10 again and I do believe you are correct and NOW it makes a LOT more sense. Thanks!

Fuel Tank Sealant

They might want to rename this stuff for RV-12 builders as we have been directed to use it all over the aircraft ...wings, firewall...

Tony was "The Man" for me when I was building my RV-12. His photos and craftsmanship kept me going. A belated THANKS to Tony.

Tony was "The Man" for me when I was building my RV-12. His photos and craftsmanship kept me going. A belated THANKS to Tony.

Tony is a man among men! There are several others, Joe Gores, JB, Marty Santic. All of them trail blazers.

Back