What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1264 Control Stick Pushrod Question

John-G

Well Known Member
On page 32-04 of the plans the builder is instructed to cut two F-1264 control stick pushrods from a piece of AT6-058 x 5/16 tube. The plans show threads on the ends of the pushrods but there is no call out on my plans for the tap thread size required (I?m assuming it is 1/4 - 28) or drill size needed prior to tapping.

I?ve recently moved the shop to the airport and wondering if I?m using the right tube or have I have misplaced a pre-threaded tube? If I am using the correct tubing, where is the callout for the tap and drill sizes?

Thanks,

Plans Page 32-04 Revision 0, says to Drill #3, Tap 1/4-28 both ends.
It seems that Revision 1 needs revising. :)
Joe Gores

Thanks

Joe --- Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to know I at least cut the proper tube. Perhaps Scott will see this post and have the drawing revised to once again show the correct drill and tap sizes.

Be VERY careful tapping aluminum. Using the same force that you use when tapping steel will strip the threads on aluminum. Use plenty of oil and back out the tap frequently before it gets hard to turn.
Joe Gores

... and make sure the tap is going in STRAIGHT! There isn't much excess sidewall material left inside the tube after tapping.

Drill then Tap

Take a look at this page

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bl_32_04.htm

On page 32-04 of the plans the builder is instructed to cut two F-1264 control stick pushrods from a piece of AT6-058 x 5/16 tube. The plans show threads on the ends of the pushrods but there is no call out on my plans for the tap thread size required (I?m assuming it is 1/4 - 28) or drill size needed prior to tapping.

I?ve recently moved the shop to the airport and wondering if I?m using the right tube or have I have misplaced a pre-threaded tube? If I am using the correct tubing, where is the callout for the tap and drill sizes?

Thanks,

... and make sure the tap is going in STRAIGHT! There isn't much excess sidewall material left inside the tube after tapping.

Even if you are straight with the tap, The OD of the pushrod gets slightly stretched/enlarged after tapping due to the thin sidewall. Thus the threads show up a tiny bit on the outer side. At least this was it in my case.
That's why I replaced the pushrods by a 6061T6 TUBE 3/8X.083
For the ease of mind.

Last edited:
Back