What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery terminal protector?

tadpole rider

Is there a rubber channel that goes over the battery hold-down to protect from shorting when connecting a battery charger? Is it in the kit and I misplaced it, or should I order some channel from McMaster?

RV-12 N4212C first flight on February 6 2016!

There was no such thing in my kit. However, I saw this as a potential problem area so I have a piece of silicone cowl sealing material positioned between the terminal and the adjacent battery hold-down channel. I also put a piece of material between the inboard end of the channel and the adjacent coolant jug -- just in case they get close enough to vibrate against each other.

Many auto parts stores sell plastic "U" shaped edge trim for use on door edges. Even the chrome color channel is actually non-conductive plastic. Test to be sure. Some brands are adhesive lined.

Add one of these to your battery and never have to worry about a short when connecting a battery charger. Simply reach into your oil door and pull out and plug into your charger.;)

623e1ae56ee946d02c0de8628e52ecac_zpsmd2iwpgc.jpg

5a49e62fa7e05767e6fed19210e7f6a3_zpswxdcsexy.jpg

I'm glad you posted that picture. I've got a charger that looks like that. Bought at Sears. It has a "battery maintainer" mode which I thought would be a useful feature until I checked to see what it was doing when connected to a battery on maintainer mode. Second or third day I put a multi-meter on it and discovered it was pumping 15+ volts into the battery, continuously. Needless to say I use that thing strictly for charging. For maintaining batteries long-term I use a small Pro-Logic intelligent maintainer Model PL-2140.

http://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-PL2140-...=1454906311&sr=8-4&keywords=Pro+Logic+battery

This behavior of the charger I've got that looks like the one in the picture is not uncommon. A hangar neighbor had a Schumacher Battery Maintainer. It's small, looks well made, and says "Battery Maintainer" right on the front and certainly looks like a good piece of equipment. He religiously kept it connected to his aircraft batteries, year after year. He had a table full of dead Gills and Concordes in the back of the hangar that I asked him about. He just shrugged his shoulders. It never occured to him to check what voltage that fancy-looking little maintainer was putting out. Same as with the bigger charger I bought at Sears, his maintainer was also putting 15+ volts into his batteries . . . continuously . . . and killing them.

I would want to check on them and see what they're doing, but the brand "Battery Tender" is commonly found and may be okay. Even the little Harbor Freight maintainers that are often on sale for $6.99 may not be as good as more expensive devices but at least will do no harm. They will bring a battery to 13.1 volts and keep it there. It's the overcharging and overheating that kills batteries and the Schumacher's and other brands sold at Sears and Wal-Mart and other places will do exactly that when used in maintainer mode. They should be called "Battery Killer". They're fine for charging. For maintaining we need to be careful what we use when connected to a battery for long periods of time. A multi-meter will tell the story.

I'm glad you posted that picture. I've got a charger that looks like that. Bought at Sears. It has a "battery maintainer" mode which I thought would be a useful feature until I checked to see what it was doing when connected to a battery on maintainer mode. Second or third day I put a multi-meter on it and discovered it was pumping 15+ volts into the battery, continuously. Needless to say I use that thing strictly for charging. For maintaining batteries long-term I use a small Pro-Logic intelligent maintainer Model PL-2140.

http://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-PL2140-...=1454906311&sr=8-4&keywords=Pro+Logic+battery

This behavior of the charger I've got that looks like the one in the picture is not uncommon. A hangar neighbor had a Schumacher Battery Maintainer. It's small, looks well made, and says "Battery Maintainer" right on the front and certainly looks like a good piece of equipment. He religiously kept it connected to his aircraft batteries, year after year. He had a table full of dead Gills and Concordes in the back of the hangar that I asked him about. He just shrugged his shoulders. It never occured to him to check what voltage that fancy-looking little maintainer was putting out. Same as with the bigger charger I bought at Sears, his maintainer was also putting 15+ volts into his batteries . . . continuously . . . and killing them.

I would want to check on them and see what they're doing, but the brand "Battery Tender" is commonly found and may be okay. Even the little Harbor Freight maintainers that are often on sale for $6.99 may not be as good as more expensive devices but at least will do no harm. They will bring a battery to 13.1 volts and keep it there. It's the overcharging and overheating that kills batteries and the Schumacher's and other brands sold at Sears and Wal-Mart and other places will do exactly that when used in maintainer mode. They should be called "Battery Killer". They're fine for charging. For maintaining we need to be careful what we use when connected to a battery for long periods of time. A multi-meter will tell the story.

There are older threads on this topic that indicate maintainer charging on these batteries is not necessary, and in fact is detrimental. If you fly once a month or so the battery will be fine. Of course, if you run it down by leaving the master on, or play with the avionics for long periods on the ground you will want to use a charger, but not for long periods of time.

I have never trickle charged my battery, and sometimes have had flying layoffs of 6 weeks or so, and never had a problem. After five years the battery seems as strong as ever!

Go to the aircraft electrical isle at Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, et al, and pick up some thick rubber tape. Not the thin silicone tape (although I have rolls of that too), but the thick rubber stuff that is adhesive backed. I put that along the hold down near the positive terminal. There are many places where this rubber tape comes in handy to keep wires from chafing or before tie wrapping two hoses to one another, to protecting sharp edges, etc.

> "There are older threads on this topic that indicate maintainer charging on these batteries is not necessary, and in fact is detrimental. If you fly once a month or so the battery will be fine."

I think you're right. If my hangar neighbor had not been so "religious" about keeping that instrument of the devil connected to his aircraft battery, he would have saved himself a lot of batteries.

I go weeks without putting anything on mine. I happened to check it last night after I'd not touched it in over a month. 12.8.

Proves your point.

Chargers

We have had discussion/controversy regarding chargers. See Odessy battery web site warnings , which chargers to use, adverse consequences. The pic above is the only one recommended. I leave it on. No problems.

Tim

Back