What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaky Tires

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I know it has been discussed some in the past, but I can hardly believe how fast my tires go down, even though it has never even been flown yet, it is like there are porus tubes inside! I can't put up with this, what have others done to fic the problem?

I know it has been discussed some in the past, but I can hardly believe how fast my tires go down, even though it has never even been flown yet, it is like there are porus tubes inside! I can't put up with this, what have others done to fic the problem?

Try inflating them with Nitrogen.

I lose about one pound of pressure per month. Be sure that your air valves are properly sealing. The external ambient air temperature will also effect the tire pressure somewhat.

The standard tubes lose air quite rapidly (believe it or not, the air seeps thru the rubber). You can order no leak tubes that work well from Dresser or Aircraft Spruce, but are expensive but worth it

The standard tubes lose air quite rapidly (believe it or not, the air seeps thru the rubber). You can order no leak tubes that work well from Dresser or Aircraft Spruce, but are expensive but worth it

RV kits have come with leak-stop tubes for many years now.

If pressure goes down you should look for a slow leak

check the schrader valve inserts. That's the cause usually. I use tubes/tires (replaced orginal due to wear) made by Air Hawk and they hold psi for several months.
dick

I had a bad Schrader valve insert. I replaced it and mine hold pressure for six months before I have to add air.

A friend who just bought an SLSA RV-12 had his tire go flat in a few months. When he changed it out it looked like it had spots with tough surface where the air leaked. It looked like a manufacturing defect.

In my experience, ther is a distinct difference between Teh no-name "leak stop" tubes and the Michelin Air-Stop tubes in terms of air retention. Yes, there is also a price difference. With the Michelins, we check tire pressures maybe a couple of times a year in our three airplane's. If we use any other tube, it's once a month. If we do get a leaker, it is generally a valv that isn't closing - and for that reason, we always use metal caps with gaskets to back up the valve.

Desser sells the Michelins - or at least that is where I have always bought them.

Thanks. The aircraft has never left its climate controlled space. The schrader valves are all tight, and all stems have a cap with a rubber seal in it. There are all sorts of sealers available, has anyone tried that approach?

Thanks. The aircraft has never left its climate controlled space. The schrader valves are all tight, and all stems have a cap with a rubber seal in it. There are all sorts of sealers available, has anyone tried that approach?

If you are talking about the "sealers" that come in a pressurized can, "DON'T". They are designed as a last resort to get you home. They will totally ruin your tube. Not to mention throwing it out of balance.

Back