What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delivery Date

I talked to Anne at Van's Friday (5-02-08). She said that the ship date for my wing kit is 3 weeks away. My S/N is 027. I guess I better start on those work tables.
DeltaHotel

Timescales

Thanks for this. I'm number 33. Although it will take a while to ship mine to the UK, I have ordered the Avery tools kit and am sorting out the mess in my garage.

Does anyone have have recommendations on sound deadening material to surround a compressor with? I'm thinking of using a smaller scale variation of the EAA workbench to install workbench tools on, and to enclose the compressor on the shelf underneath.

Thanks...Keith

Does anyone have have recommendations on sound deadening material to surround a compressor with? I'm thinking of using a smaller scale variation of the EAA workbench to install workbench tools on, and to enclose the compressor on the shelf underneath.

I decided to use a little different approach. Instead of building the "box" like others have, I decided to put a better muffler on the air intake. Why?...because the biggest offender on any air compressor is the large acoustic impulses caused by the compressor as it takes big bites of air when the compressor piston goes down. This made a 4 db improvement and sounded much better. Probably not as good as a box, but lots easier, and it is still easily transportable and serviceable. My 22 year old son heard the new muffler and easily noticed the difference.

The muffler usually screws on the compressor via 1/2 inch steel nipple (pipe) that is about 3 inches long. It's easy to build an larger muffler from 4 inch pvc pipe and screw it into the 1/2 inch nipple.

There are some other noises comming from the compressor, but the intake is definitly the worst.

If anyone wants, I can post a description of how I made my muffler.

any day now ...

I spoke to Van's Aircraft and with #003, my wings are due this week.

Is it recommended to prime the spar, ribs and inside skin surfaces? If it is, that'll really slow things down. What is everyone doing? To prime or not to prime, :confused: that is the question.

The spar is anodized, so you shouldn't need to prime that at all. Everything else is up to you, as best I can tell. I think most would agree that non-alclad parts should be primed, at the very least.

Beyond that, it comes down to what you're comfortable with. I live in well away from the ocean, so I'm not overly concerned about interior corrosion. I will probably limit my treatment to ribs, mating surfaces, and any non-alclad metal, but that's just my choice. I have no doubt that others would prime everything, while some would just bolt everything together exactly as it came from the factory. Since weight is such an issue for these planes, I'm doing the bare minimum that I'm comfortable with, and documenting everything so future buyers/fliers can decide if it meets their needs.

From what I hear from Floridians, though, anti-corrosion treatment is something of a necessity out there. I'm sure some locals will chime in with some thoughts for you.

Last edited:
Jerry.. The manual says that the skins are alclad which "need not be primed" ... "However, it the airplane is to be kept in a salt-air environment, or if a greater margin of corrosion protection is desired, priming the inside of the airframe is a good idea. Remember that priming will add cost, weight and time to your project." The manual goes on to say "the pre-assembled spars are anodized and need no additional protection. All aluminum bar, angle, and tube used in the RV-12 is not alclad and must be primed to assure corrosion resistance..."

KSRQ

Sarasota International Airport, where I plan on sharing a hanger with someone (anyone), is about 1/2 mile away from the (salty) Gulf of Mexico. :(

I guess that answers my question ...

Well, I knew I wasn't going to break any records with my build time anyway.

I did like the fact that there was still 25 lbs. of useful load remaining with a full tank and myself and my wife aboard. One or two gallons of paint will put an end to that. :mad: I guess "Weight Watchers" is my future. (I hate the thought of reducing good food to points). :(

Last edited:
Wing Kit

My wing Kit is enroute and should be delivered Monday according ABS Bill of Lading.
I live on the Gulf Coast and will either prime or fog airframe with Corrosion X. I would advise anyone who plans to leave aircraft out of doors near salt water to prime.
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC
J-3 Cub, NC88583
RV-12 (Will soon be under construction)

Kit #002 Arrived

My wing kit (#002) arrived today in Novato, Ca. My partner and I did the inventory and there are only a couple of minor bits missing. Pretty amazing given the complexity of the shipment. The packaging is amazing. I didn't count the box with 10,000 rivets in it. It will just be a surprise at the end.

Will start on the spars tomorrow.

Rich

I decided to use a little different approach. Instead of building the "box" like others have, I decided to put a better muffler on the air intake. Why?...because the biggest offender on any air compressor is the large acoustic impulses caused by the compressor as it takes big bites of air when the compressor piston goes down. This made a 4 db improvement and sounded much better. Probably not as good as a box, but lots easier, and it is still easily transportable and serviceable. My 22 year old son heard the new muffler and easily noticed the difference.

The muffler usually screws on the compressor via 1/2 inch steel nipple (pipe) that is about 3 inches long. It's easy to build an larger muffler from 4 inch pvc pipe and screw it into the 1/2 inch nipple.

There are some other noises comming from the compressor, but the intake is definitly the worst.

If anyone wants, I can post a description of how I made my muffler.

Show us your muffler. Sounds like an easy way to quiet things down a bit.

uh oh ... primer

Would anyone have an idea of what brand of primer to use? Where to purchase it? Is one coat enough? Do I have color choices? How many gallons might I need for the RV-12?

From what I am reading, the spars and ribs don't need a primer. But I should prime the inside of the wing skins along with "the inside" of just about all of the rest of the frame; seats, panel, cockpit, floor, empennage, fuselage, engine compartment etc ... Correct?

It might be easier to move to Iowa. ;)

Would anyone have an idea of what brand of primer to use? Where to purchase it? Is one coat enough? Do I have color choices? How many gallons might I need for the RV-12?

From what I am reading, the spars and ribs don't need a primer. But I should prime the inside of the wing skins along with "the inside" of just about all of the rest of the frame; seats, panel, cockpit, floor, empennage, fuselage, engine compartment etc ... Correct?

It might be easier to move to Iowa. ;)

There seem to be as many opinions about this are there are members of these forums. Van's uses a Sherwin Williams self-etching primer, but the manufacturer advises that the product offers "no significant corrosion protection." At least one forum member reports that the high-corrosion environment in New Zealand eats the Van's primer for lunch.

This forum has alot of the back-and-forth about the various options. Again, it comes down to what you're comfortable with and your own personal cost/benefit analysis. The more surfaces you prime, the more coats of primer you lay down, and the more areas that get top-coated, the more weight you're putting on. And there really isn't a lot of wiggle room with the weight on this craft.

My wing Kit is enroute and should be delivered Monday according ABS Bill of Lading.
I live on the Gulf Coast and will either prime or fog airframe with Corrosion X. I would advise anyone who plans to leave aircraft out of doors near salt water to prime.
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC
J-3 Cub, NC88583
RV-12 (Will soon be under construction)

I live in Naples and plan to fog the airframe with Corrosion X, then repeat every 2 years. I have been doing that with my present aircraft and others give good reports on the process. Requires a few small holes in the skin in a few places to fog everything with spray needles. Corrosion X seeps in to the spaces between parts to protect the surface, so I am told. Painting everything would be good but takes time and there is no guarantee especially if you miss a few spots.
BTW, I think there are at least 3 wing kits on the ABF shipment coming to Florida. Mine is due here Friday. Working on a wing sling now.
Bart

Hit by a freight train ...

Just got a call from ABF Freight. My wings arrive tomorrow, Thursday, and the freight cost is $558.84 ... OUCH! :eek: :eek: I wasn't expecting it to be that much ... the things I'll do and the money I'll spend to have my OWN light sport aircraft.

By the way, I got my B & C airspace endorsement yesterday. I'm kind of pleased about that. Now instead of flying to North Palm Beach Regional Airport, I can fly directly into Palm Beach International. How sweet it is!

Since my tool kit hasn't arrived yet, all I can do is take inventory ... and study the plans. That's fine with me.

At least I know there are others in the country that are as crazy as I am. As of today, about 5702 others :) ... and they're all flying! :)

shipping/crating

Just got a call from ABF Freight. My wings arrive tomorrow, Thursday, and the freight cost is $558.84 ... OUCH! :eek: :eek: I wasn't expecting it to be that much ... the things I'll do and the money I'll spend to have my OWN light sport aircraft.

By the way, I got my B & C airspace endorsement yesterday. I'm kind of pleased about that. Now instead of flying to North Palm Beach Regional Airport, I can fly directly into Palm Beach International. How sweet it is!

Since my tool kit hasn't arrived yet, all I can do is take inventory ... and study the plans. That's fine with me.

At least I know there are others in the country that are as crazy as I am. As of today, about 5702 others :) ... and they're all flying! :)

Jerry- when you receive the kit, please post details about the size/weight of the crate(s)/packaging. I was also waiting to hear about freight cost from someone in the eastern half of the US- much more than I would have anticipated! Thought running through my mind is 5 different subkits at roughly $500 each for freight (plus crating)!! Double ouch! Certainly more than the website predicts for crating/shipping of other kits but then fuel costs have gone up significantly.

Wing Kit arrival notification

Just heard from ABF that my wing kit will be delivered tomorrow here in Naples, FL between 10:00 and 2:00 (1400 ROTC time). I had suspected that other kits would be on the same truck with delivery destinations in Florida since there at least two other guys down this way with similar delivery times. Anybody else have one coming tomorrow?
Bart :D

Primer

Speak to the folks at Stewart Systems, I started with the etch, alodine, prime with epoxy but it adds a lot of time and you really need a good, well ventilated shop. The epoxy primer is tough but it's not very friendly to work with. I went to the stewart systems product and it's fairly tough, seals the metal and you can work in your basement with it. If the part doesn't have alclad then I go through the trouble of alodine for added corrosion protection. http://www.stewartsystems.aero/products.aspx?cid=2

Make sure your box isn't damaged, mine was, thanks Fedex, and if you don't make the claim promptly you eat the damage! If it happens again to me, I'll refuse shipment unless I know you I;m ready to unload and inventory.

Tools a coming ...

Avery Tools called this afternoon and said some tools for the RV-12 kit are on backorder. :( They're shipping what they have and I'm guessing they will arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I'll probably inventory and start the build the following week. I've already waited over two years, so another week or two shouldn't make any difference. Patience grasshopper, patience. :)

Wing Sling

Looks just like the one I am building. Got the design off the internet. I like the idea of shorter outside verticals and the use of carpet instead of straps. I just finished cutting the 14 or so gussets yesterday. Wing kit gets here today.
Bart

Wing Kit

Wing Kit to arrive today. Freight $578.64 to North Florida, like one other said, OUCH!!!!
Has anyone given any thought to purchasing fire wall foward parts from Lockwood? I talked to Sensinech at SNF and they said they might sale the RV-12 Prop directly to builder. He said this will still have tobe discussed with Van's. For us Florida Boys this would sure help reduce our shipping cost if we can make purchases locally, of course we will have to pay sales tax.
Gerry
RV-9 & Cub, RV-12 soon to be under construction

Wings have arrived ...

My wing kit arrived this morning (still no tools from Avery but they will be here next week). The driver told me the total shipping bill was $1040.92 plus residential delivery charge of $75.75 plus a $118.77 fuel surcharge for a total of $1235.44 :eek: :mad: ... but Van's Aircraft gets a $676.60 discount! :)

So my bill came to $558.84, I guess that deserves a couple of smily faces. :):) Everything is relative.

I posted pictures of the 2 wing crates (300 lbs. and 200 lbs. approximately) and a video of the unloading. Not too terribly interesting to see, unless your expecting a wing kit delivery too. Like I said, its all relative.

My web build site, in my VAF signature has the pictures and video or here's the link to that specific post.

http://jerryg150rv12.blogspot.com/2008/05/eagles-wings-have-landed.html

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the video on unloading your wings. I'm waiting on delivery of my wings and have worried about the unloading process...just my wife and I here. I like the idea the driver had of using the dolly mid-way for the spar box.

Wings arrive here also

Wing got here to Naples, FL about 11:00 this morning delivered by ABF. I had the same concerns about unloading and had a friend come over to help get the boxes off the truck. He didn't get here in time so the driver and I unloaded it almost exactly as Jerry depicts except I had a 4 cornered furniture dolly with the rollers on each corner and that worked well also. It was all managable. (Aside: I'm 69).
I don't have any pictures to put on the net but Jerry's house, driveway, trees, grass and nieghborhood look identical to mine. Hey! It's Florida. I tipped the driver, probably too much, but I was really glad to get the kit of the truck and in the garage.
One of the boxes, the more rectangular one, had some damage from something being stacked on it. I'm now having a Scotch to get up enough nerve to open it up and see if anything got bent.
Bart

RV-12 Wing Kit

Rec'd Kit this evening in perfect condition. Truck had a power lift on trailer and this helped with the unloading. Took about an hour to unload boxes, probably take all day tomorrow to inventory. This is my third RV and I am more excited about this one than the other two. Why I don't know.
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC
Cub, NC88583
RV-12, N6GC, Reserved, Building

My wing kit arrived this morning (still no tools from Avery but they will be here next week). The driver told me the total shipping bill was $1040.92 plus residential delivery charge of $75.75 plus a $118.77 fuel surcharge for a total of $1235.44 :eek: :mad: ... but Van's Aircraft gets a $676.60 discount! :)

So my bill came to $558.84, I guess that deserves a couple of smily faces. :):) Everything is relative.

I posted pictures of the 2 wing crates (300 lbs. and 200 lbs. approximately) and a video of the unloading. Not too terribly interesting to see, unless your expecting a wing kit delivery too. Like I said, its all relative.

My web build site, in my VAF signature has the pictures and video or here's the link to that specific post.

http://jerryg150rv12.blogspot.com/2008/05/eagles-wings-have-landed.html

Jerry,
what are the deminisions of the spar crate? I plan on picking mine up once I get the kit ordered.

thanks
Hal-san

spar crate

I was going to pick mine up until Anne told me the spar crate was 15 feet long. My truck bed is 8 foot...yikes!

Long, long crate

You're right on ... 15 1/2'X10"X10" (approx.). Guess I'll inventory tomorrow and look for the plans and/or instructions.

Good Luck to all you RV-12 builders out there! :)

I was going to pick mine up until Anne told me the spar crate was 15 feet long. My truck bed is 8 foot...yikes!

My truck bed is only 6 feet long but i will be able to open the rear window and stick about 3 feet inside the cab and let the remaining stick out over the back with red flags attached. I think I could not have them crated and they would probably only be about 13+ feet. Of course I only have 2-1/2 trip to make from Van's to home.

Thanks Jerry for the sizes.

Delivery dates for those with serial #'s in the 30-40 range?

Anyone else with serial numbers in the 30's or 40's gotten any updated estimates of ship date? I ordered the morning of Thursday, April 10th and am #41. I was told by Vans today that their current estimate is mid- to late-June. This was later than I anticipated based on what I was quoted at the time I faxed my order.

Anyone else with serial numbers in the 30's or 40's gotten any updated estimates of ship date? I ordered the morning of Thursday, April 10th and am #41. I was told by Vans today that their current estimate is mid- to late-June. This was later than I anticipated based on what I was quoted at the time I faxed my order.

I'm 0069, so I'm not in the range that you're asking about. That said, I spoke with Van's again yesterday, since they have now started shipping wing kits. I was told that my lead time is still about 10 weeks, which is the same time they were quoting in mid-April. I think actual shipping dates will become a little more clear as the production pipeline firms up and fills up.

Highest Order Number to date?

Any idea as to how many RV12's have been ordered do date? Lawspud's at 0069 is the highest I've seen to date.

I'm #17. they said they got in several spars earlier this week...had to do some deburring and bushing work. Thurs they sent it off to be crated Said it would be picked up next week for delivery. I ordered mine on the 9th so its running 4 to 6 weeks like they said.

I am #81 ;-) -> 10 to 12 weeks, but no matter, still need to get to South Africa that ads another 8 weeks, so let's call it 20. Hopefilly I got my timeing right that the RV7 will be in the sky by that time.

Last edited:
Finally got the guts up to open the rectangular box that had damage down one side. The plywood cover wasn't quite big enough so they ran a 1x2 in the gap between the plywood sheet and the side wall. It didn't take much of a push on the 1x2 to force it inward and down at a 45 degree angle toward the set of leading edges.
But, it missed damaging the leading edges by about 1/2 inch. I think. I still need to get them out and look at them closely.
Problem was pee poor packaging. I really am surprised that's how they did it.
Bart

lucky break

Bartsey ... glad you lucked out with the rectangular box ... in spite of pee poor packaging.

It took me two days, but I opened both of my boxes and will go exploring in a little while. I found the packaging list and will look for the plans.

I bought a 6" bench vise and a 6" bench grinder at Home Depot today. I know we need the vise and everybody and their uncle has a bench grinder, so I figures what the heck. I'll grind something! I may buy a small bench drill press too ... who knows, I might even need one. :)

Still waiting for my Avery tool kit to arrive.

May the Force be with you (us)!

I am #42. Mailed in my order on 4-8-08. Toured the factory on 4-30 and they had 12 to 16 spars boxed up ready to go. They were working on the flat boxes. At the time there were 84 orders received. I expect my kit sometime around middle of June.

MRT890

Kit Damage

Well, rats! I am taking everything out of the large square box and inspecting it closely for damage because the side of the box was crushed inward . Everything looked OK on initial cursory inspection, but am bringing the parts inside for inventory and close scrutiny. So far, have found damage to 14 W 1208L and 2 W 1210L ribs. Ribs were bent from outside pressure when something heavy was placed on the box or hit the box during shipment.
I'll keep you posted on how the claim etc. goes. Hope the leading edges are OK.
Bart

Hmm, odd Vans packaging is ussually top notch, my RV7 boxes made it 1/2 across to globe to South Africa, packed upside down and wrong side up, and no shipping damage. The only damage I had was a skin that had 'factory' damage on before shipping, that was quickly replaced.

Packaging

Problem with the packing was the plywood was not large enought to cover the top so an additional strip of wood was added to fill the gap and it created a weak spot. There was an additional strip of 2x2 wood that ran inside of the box over the top of the leading edges near the gap and it was cracked and broken from overload also.
Bart

Back