What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 smoke pump mounting location

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I decided to go with a smoke system after all. It?s totally frivolous but it?s just money. I went with Smoke System Helper?s RV-14 specific kit.

Anyhow, the oil tank will obviously go behind the seat. But where is the best place to put the pump? I am working on the fuselage kit now and want to take advantage of having it open to prepare the installation of the smoke system. I am at the step where the forward and middle fuselage assemblies get mated together just before the side structure starts to go on.

My current plan is to use the two nutplate locations in the battery angles, forward of the elevator bellcrank and just aft of the F-01406 aft baggage bulkhead, and add two more nutplates just aft of those, then fabricate a bracket to mount the smoke oil pump there. That will make it easy to access, inspect, and service but well-hidden and out of the way. The weight and balance works out fine in that location, based on the prototype RV-14 W&B numbers. I believe it will be far enough forward not to interfere with the elevator bellcrank, but I will build the bellcrank and verify that before I start any work on the installation.

Back