What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming piano hinge?

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Just curious as I am priming mating surfaces if you guys recommend priming the piano hinge for the elevator trim tab.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I just received my 14 kit in October of 2018. The part number for the hinge is ms20257-2 There is no "P" in the designation. This hinge is plain aluminum and not anodized. I am going to prime mine with a light coat of Akzo Noble.

Last edited:
It its unanodized leave it outside for awhile to test it. I believe the hinge is 5052 alloy which already has a high corrosion resistance. I definitely didn't prime my hinges. My thoughts were paint and hinges aren't a great mix. If you are really worried about it replace it with the anodized one(if its not already) and sleep peacefully :D

I just received my 14 kit in October of 2018. The part number for the hinge is ms20257-2 There is no "P" in the designation. This hinge is plain aluminum and not anodized. I am going to prime mine with a light coat of Akzo Noble.

Van's has been using MS20257 "P" series hinge for decades. The shipments from the supplier always include certs and specify it as P(X) hinge.
Even when it is P series hinge, there is not a P stamped in the part # on the hinge itself.
Aluminum that has been clear anodized has a distinctive slightly shiny looking appearance.
If you compare the look of you hinge to some of the un-anodized raw material in your kit (longerons, for example) I think you will notice a difference.

My questions about painting hinge material are:

1. When I cut and debur the hinge, is it still corrosion resistant? I don?t know enough about anodizing to know.

2. For the seat hinge, and this may be worthy of a poll, how many paint it to match the interior and how many leave it shiny?

My questions about painting hinge material are:

1. When I cut and debur the hinge, is it still corrosion resistant? I don?t know enough about anodizing to know.

2. For the seat hinge, and this may be worthy of a poll, how many paint it to match the interior and how many leave it shiny?

The hinge is anodized after it is manufactured, in what ever length is the standard. Once it gets cut into a shorter piece , the ends should be considered unprotected.

I think most people do most of the assembly of the fwd fuselage and then paint the interior area, so the hinges get painted during that process.

Back