What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final Shop Questions

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Next week my wings are supposed to be shipped. I'm in the final stages of putting the shop all together and have a couple of layout questions.

When trying to position the tools for best use, all can be permanent or temporary, how much working area should I allow around each if I decide to make them permanent, considering the different tasks you have gone through in building the wings:

1. Drill Press
2. Band Saw
3. DRDT-2
4. Disk Sander

I guess what I am trying to find out is with the band saw and drill press, it would seem that you are working on smaller pieces, therefore less room and the DRDT-2 bigger sheets, more room. Just thought I would ask before I mount them to something. I was planning on building another 8' bench along a wall to accommodate them. I have two of the EAA workbenches with wheels in the middle of the garage. As always, thanks for all the advice and experience. I was feeling pretty good about the build until all the questions about torquing the bolts. Sounds confusing.

Here's what I did!

Hey Stoney,

Here is what I did and it has worked very nicely. Took pics when after a work session and they are a little cluttered....but the bandsaw, disc sander, bench grinder and vise on the bench have been attached and it all works great. I have retractable wheels for sturdiness when I work and ease of moving when I want to.....best wishes on your new project!

YOL BOLSON!!!

compCIMG1956_zps9cbe6aa1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compCIMG1954_zpsc4a5ef53.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cc49e97e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8ba7258d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

98e821dc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't know if I have any specific photos of my tools, my I'm sure there are glimpses of them in my build log.

Most of the items you listed, I have on Harbor Freight stands sitting side by side along the back of my hangar. They were along one side of my garage when I was still building at home.

I found keeping them a little distance away from your work area was handy in managing the debris you'll make.

I made a small bench on wheels for the DRDT at the same height as my other benches. That way I can maneuver it around but also use other benches for support when needed for large pieces. I'd do the same thing again.

If I had more room, I'd have a separate table for the grinder, band saw, etc. As is, I use the DRDT table and lift those things up and down as I need them. Drill press is mounted to floor against the wall

I use the grinder and band saw frequently. Drill press not so much.

Here's a bad fish eye picture (this is really a two car garage). Don't remember why I had the DRDT out of the table here but it really mounts inside it.

IMG_2431.jpg

+1 for small table

I also built a small table, along with two big tables. This is just how my cuts worked out with my ply, when making the EAA tables. Although I made all my tables with retractable wheels (simple pull-string to retract, lift table & gravity extends/locks). However, I did not bolt anything in place other than my bench bise. All the equipment is usually heavy enough to not move around. When it's not, I clamp it in place. This offers more flexibility with tables and equipment location.

If you mount your bench grinder on your bench, all the grindings will end up on the bench. Place your grinder on a stand. Same applies to your drill press and band saw.

Go to Harbor freight and purchase the stands that they sell for these items. As far as room needed to use them, use them and move them till it works for you.

Wow.....................there's such a thing as a "Final Shop"? I'd love to see it! ;) I can see the advantage of everything on rollers. Just configure it for the task at hand..................move as necessary.

Jim

Another idea

If you have seen any of the time-lapse videos posted by NovaBandit (www.edandcolleen.com) you can see what he has done. It appears to be about a 30" square table on wheels with a band-saw, disc grinder, drill press, and bench grinder each mounted on a corner. I did not see any copyright symbols, so I am doing something similar.

Tom

I also made a movable bench (on wheels) with grinder, vice, drill press, and sander on it. I plan to mount a band saw at some point. This bench is 4' by 4'. I put a 5 outlet adapter in the middle of the top of table and all power tools plug into it. THis way I only have one chord to the wall. All the benches in my shop are the same height.

sort of a blurry picture, but....

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w663/Kenneth_Stockman/Photo6-1_zps4ebc3f4a.jpg

Back