What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measurement required for B&C alternator.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I’m looking at B&C backup alternators and there are a couple of options available. The unknown is how much space is available between the vacuum pump pad where the alternator will be installed and the firewall. TJ from B&C wasn’t completely sure that the larger of the two would fit. I believe he said 8 inches was needed. Does anybody know this measurement off hand or can they measure it if their cowling is off? It would be much appreciated!!

Alternator

I can give you a data point.

I am using the Airwolf remote mount oil filter.

The BC-410 fits fine. There is not much clearance on the oil filter adapter but it is adequate.

The BC-462 WILL NOT FIT. It is larger in diameter and there is interference with the oil filter adapter. I had TJ actually send me one to try, so it is not an estimation.

There is plenty of room in the length dimension.

B&C have been great to work with and I highly recommend them...

Another data point

I have a Superior 0360 with B&C 462 H alternator. The oil filter and alternator have just enough clearance for ziplock bag at oil change

I agree with Bob. I installed a SD-20, which has now been relabeled as a 40a. With the B&C spacers, it's a tight fit with oil filter. I highly recommend getting the B&C oil filter adapter to free up some space and make your oil changes less messy.

I agree with Bob. I installed a SD-20, which has now been relabeled as a 40a. With the B&C spacers, it's a tight fit with oil filter. I highly recommend getting the B&C oil filter adapter to free up some space and make your oil changes less messy.

Thanks Bob. I did order the 90 degree adapter. It seems like this is the part that gives interference headaches though.

I can give you a data point.

I am using the Airwolf remote mount oil filter.

The BC-410 fits fine. There is not much clearance on the oil filter adapter but it is adequate.

The BC-462 WILL NOT FIT. It is larger in diameter and there is interference with the oil filter adapter. I had TJ actually send me one to try, so it is not an estimation.

There is plenty of room in the length dimension.

B&C have been great to work with and I highly recommend them...

I?m using their oil filter adapter. TJ feels that with a spacer and drive extension that either one is a possibility. He wasn?t worried about the diameter interference as much as room posteriorly. Not having built the engine yet, I?m not able to visualize what the issues are. Did you try the spacers and drive extensions? I?m not hung up on the larger alternator. At cruise rpm It seems that it doesn?t really put out that many more amps.

Here are a couple of photos of the installation in my RV10 using the smaller 40A alternator

36264089842_99bbb76f8c_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_0092 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]

36264089242_54ac8b2526_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_0093 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Spacers

I am not using any spacers. I AM using the Airwolf remote oil filter adapter.

The interference, in my case, was from the diameter of the 462. The length would have been no issue.

Can't say anything about any other filter adapter. I opted for the remote filter early on, installed it, and never looked back...

I have the same setup as Bill. I did go back and forth with installing a 90 degree B&C adapter with the Plane Power FS1-14. Ultimately it ended up being too much of a pain, and the oil filter in its standard configuration is not in that bad of a location for me to deal with that pain and extra gasket in the path.

http://karrelsj.blogspot.com/2017/12/b-oil-filter-adapter-kit-and-fs1-14b_9.html

I do have a 90 adapter and spacer if you are looking for one. I was too lazy to return it and I have not got around to putting it in the classifieds.

I just realized that I posted the photos of my old alternator, which was the Plane Power. That has now been replaced with the Band C after the PP failed. The B&C is essentially the same form factor. I am not using an oil filter adapter. It's a close fit, but works. Yes, I have an inline fuse in series with the output lead of the Alternator. I'm sorry, but can't find any photos of the new B and C installation using the 40A alternator. Ill take some photos this weekend and post with some actual measurements if I get a chance.

Here's a photo of my SD-20, which has been relabeled the 40amp from B&C.

This is before I installed the oil filter adapter and hung the engine. I have to modify a ratcheting wrench to get the one bolt installed. It was a pain before the engine was hung and even more of a PITA to get it off after I was flying.

I don't have a copy of a photo of after the oil filter adapter online to share at the moment.

FP05022011A0005D.jpg

Here's a photo of my SD-20, which has been relabeled the 40amp from B&C.

This is before I installed the oil filter adapter and hung the engine. I have to modify a ratcheting wrench to get the one bolt installed. It was a pain before the engine was hung and even more of a PITA to get it off after I was flying.

I don't have a copy of a photo of after the oil filter adapter online to share at the moment.

FP05022011A0005D.jpg
Bob,

So you're saying it's a pain to get the 90 degree adapter installed, but would you also say that it's "worth the pain" of installation? Did you have to modify or grind down anything to the get clearance between the adapter and the alternator housing, either for install or other reasons?

Bill brings up a good point in his write up: If you have the modify the alternator to install with the 90 deg adapter, it makes replacement of the alternator more of a PTIA..

Bob,

So you're saying it's a pain to get the 90 degree adapter installed, but would you also say that it's "worth the pain" of installation? Did you have to modify or grind down anything to the get clearance between the adapter and the alternator housing, either for install or other reasons?

Bill brings up a good point in his write up: If you have the modify the alternator to install with the 90 deg adapter, it makes replacement of the alternator more of a PTIA..

No, I'm saying the bolt that holds the alternator that is located between the alternator and the oil filter is a pain to put in with the engine off the plane. It's even worse when the engine is mounted.

I had to modify a ratcheting wrench to about 3" in length, then it was only able to move a couple teeth at a time. There just isn't enough room to maneuver. When the engine is mounted, you have to do it in the blind.

Once the oil filter adapter spacers are installed, that problem goes away.

I didn't install the oil filter adapter until a couple years of flying. I wish I put it on day one. It's a godsend!

I had no modifications other than the spacers that B&C provided. Now if you install anything else than this model alternator, you need to talk with B&C.

Back