What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetometer #2 shelf

BigD

Well Known Member
Haven't seen one like this (maybe I'm fixing to learn why...)

2ljnvuu.jpg

back end is raised by one washer to come close to the panel tilt...

==dave==
N102FM

On the garmin touch, it mounts on the shelf the vertical stabilizer mounts. It fits on a .062 plate mounted there. Just looking at your mount, either mine is way over engineered or yours may need more support. Maybe just another angle support would do it.

The AFS AHRS/magnetometer I installed said to keep it from certain things. The location you show seems to put it close to the battery (although it's a bit hard to tell where exactly you installed it). Here's an excerpt from the AFS manual:

Mounting Location (P/N: 72010 or P/N:8350-0480)

The remote magnetometer must not be located within 24 inches of any large, moving, ferrous metal objects such as landing gear components, motors, steel control cables or linkage. Avoid any metallic objects that may change position between ground operations and flight operations, such as landing gear, flap actuators, and control linkages.

The remote magnetometer should not be located close to high current DC power cables or 400 cycle AC power cables and their associated magnetic fields. Wires carrying high currents, alternate currents, or intermittent currents can cause magnetic variations that will affect the unit. Keep wires with these characteristics at least 24 inches away from the remote magnetometer. These wires can include:

Battery wires

Strobe wires

Autopilot control wires

Position light wires

If I were to follow the guidelines for my Garmin magnetometer for the 900X, it would have to keep formation with me some five feet outside the airframe. However, I know of practical installations that work with the magnetometer in either the wingtip or tail. The owner of a -10 in Sedona told me that they got it to work in the tail but had to de-gauss the rudder cables to pass Garmin's certification, even though it apparently worked just fine before that. I note that Garmin no longer requires certification for experimental installations.

So long as you maintained decent isolation distances, I think your shelf mount there will work fine. I mounted my Garmin back in the tail cone and my Dynon on a fabricated shelf aft of the baggage bulkhead suspended from the top.

Vibration would be my concern. Also, you may want to change out your rear harness attach cables and hardware for non ferris equivalents

I couldn't tell which bay that was in, as long as it is at least one bay aft of the baggage compartment, you should be OK. That way you shouldn't have to worry about what tools you put the baggage compartment.

I should have been clearer - was just wondering if anyone else had done a
'one-sided' shelf like that - structure not location. The Garmin (primary EFIS) magnetometer is mounted in the fuse two bulkheads aft of the aft baggage wall, and I was trying to find a place for this one that wasn't too close to anything that swung a compass but also wasn't a Chinese puzzle to get installed. With the angle brace it is pretty sturdy and the magnetometer doesn't weigh much. On the next airplane there will be a dedicated shelf that's big enough, not too hard to get to and built in earlier. We'll see how this one works out.

==dave==
N102FM

Back