What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hi Everybody!

Palamedes

Well Known Member
So, with spousal approval, I'm about to pull the trigger on starting a build of an RV10! (I was going to do a 9 but she demanded I upgrade.. uh.. Okay! Yay! :p )

I'd like to use you guys as a resource and ask all the questions .. but to be honest I dont even know what questions to ask.

So with that, are there any gotchas or "golly I wish I had known that before I started" type questions that I should be asking?

What are some things that you wish you knew before you started to help me along?

I have a great local EAA chapter (and yes I'm a member of EAA) to help me out so they will be a fantastic resource, but I'm always looking for more advice and help.

I foresee a lot of questions.. hope yall don't mind =)

And I will be actively blogging and keeping a very detailed set of videos and pictures of everything.

I'm stoked.

Comments, advice, suggestions are always welcome.. thanks gang!

Which "Blairsville" are you in? If you are in TN, then there is a -9A builder/flier over at 1A3.

Welcome

Jason
Welcome. You've come to the right place.
Start with the chapter. Get some one on one time pounding and drilling rivets with a local mentor. From there, you will have a better idea of tools and questions.
Enjoy.

Always ask the question (whatever it is) - even if you fear someone will think you're a noob. Inevitably there's going to be "that guy" who makes you feel stupid for asking, but ignore it. Ask anyway. The vast majority of people here on VAF are unbelievably helpful and understanding with new builders.

Whatever the question. JUST ASK.

Always ask the question (whatever it is) - even if you fear someone will think you're a noob. Inevitably there's going to be "that guy" who makes you feel stupid for asking, but ignore it. Ask anyway. The vast majority of people here on VAF are unbelievably helpful and understanding with new builders.

Whatever the question. JUST ASK.

OH there's no doubt about it.. when it comes to building airplanes, I'm as NOOB as they come =)

I have no issue with looking stupid, sorta been dealing with that my whole life heh

Welcome to VAF!

Jason, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Hands on help is worth whatever it takes to obtain it--------at least when you are starting off. Local builder or workshop. Just do it.

Follow the plans/instructions, they are written in a manner that will build your skill and ability as you build the parts.

Good to have you aboard.:D

Tim Olson's site (myrv10.com) lists the majority of issues and "gotchas" on the RV-10. It's starting to become a little dated, but's its got 95% of what isn't in the instructions from Van's.

Start reading the RV-10 archives on VAF and Matronics. You'll learn a lot. Most folks won't mind the questions as long as you've attempted to do the research first.

need seat time!

Jason, stick time is good too!
Even tho I didn't build my -9a, if there is anything I would suggest, it's that you spend some time in the -10 cockpit. Doesn't even have to be airborne.
Sit in the back. Eat some lunch.( if the owner allows) Spend an hour in there, and see how it feels.
after 50 hours, I am still constantly noticing things....hmmm, the headset wire WOULD be better if it was over here....I wish I had a water bottle holder I could reach while belted in....if I had a throttle quadrant, I could put the trim on the side there....etc etc.
No such thing as the perfect setup, and everyone is different, but it's nice to get it 90% right the first time. ( note the number of 'multiple offenders' on here....some guys are still 'gettin' it right' after 3 or 4!) :)

just a quick hop away

Jason, stick time is good too!
Even tho I didn't build my -9a, if there is anything I would suggest, it's that you spend some time in the -10 cockpit. Doesn't even have to be airborne.
Sit in the back. Eat some lunch.( if the owner allows) Spend an hour in there, and see how it feels.
after 50 hours, I am still constantly noticing things....hmmm, the headset wire WOULD be better if it was over here....I wish I had a water bottle holder I could reach while belted in....if I had a throttle quadrant, I could put the trim on the side there....etc etc.
No such thing as the perfect setup, and everyone is different, but it's nice to get it 90% right the first time. ( note the number of 'multiple offenders' on here....some guys are still 'gettin' it right' after 3 or 4!) :)

If you have not flown in a 10, or want some inspiration, feel free to ask for a ride. I am always looking for an excuse to do a little flying. I'm down at LZU, which is 20 RV minutes from 1A3.

If you have not flown in a 10, or want some inspiration, feel free to ask for a ride. I am always looking for an excuse to do a little flying. I'm down at LZU, which is 20 RV minutes from 1A3.

Wow what an amazing offer! You bet! I'll take you up on that for sure..

I have not flown a 10. In fact, I'm still a student pilot and as such all my flying has been in a 172 so this would be an amazing treat!

I can almost throw a rock and hit Blairsville (DZJ).. Its about 3NM from my house. (It takes me 15-20 minutes to drive to it because I'm on the wrong side of a mountain to it..haha)

ANY time you're in the neighborhood, day or night you ping me and I'll hit the airport.. We dont even have to go flying.. just sitting in it would be fantastic!

Thanks a bunch!

Back