What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield fitting advice?

digidocs

Well Known Member
The windshield fitting here is off to an inauspicious start. I trimmed about 3/16" shy of Van's cut line all around, but when the top is touching I have a 5/8"!!! inch gap at the base. Yikes.

I think the situation is salvageable, but it would great to hear your advice on windshield trimming.

Search

Search the forums. Apparently there is a known issue with the lower right side of the windshield not fitting correctly. There may be some answers. Not quite there yet but I am planning on the Cee Bailey windows which apparently do not have this issue...

Search the forums. Apparently there is a known issue with the lower right side of the windshield not fitting correctly. There may be some answers. Not quite there yet but I am planning on the Cee Bailey windows which apparently do not have this issue...

That's not the traditional right side issue.

This looks like measurement and/or trim line error.

Does both sides look the same or is it just the right side?

If you want to try and salvage the windscreen, you can start by trimming a little at a time at the forward end where it meets the deck. It would not take too much to get it tilted down to close that gap. You could also trim the top a little to bring it down. If you can get it close enough, fill the gap with flox and lay a couple layers of glass over the joint.

is the front of the glass 10 inches from the front edge of the overlap at the firewall. As long as you still have sufficent overlap for the adhesive, I think you can use epoxy filler for the gap. I went with the Cee Bailey. Did the wind screen today. A little triming along the top. Took it on and off a few times to make minor cuts. Turned out nice and happy with the product. After looking at the plans for cutting the Vans glass, happy with the Cee Bailey.

Last edited:
After looking at the windscreen again this evening, I'm going to try to bring the front down a bit more and then start trimming from the rear (a la 9GT's suggestion).

Thanks also for the windscreen setback dimension. It will be very interesting to see where I am relative to the 10" number.

David

windshield

I will tell you that you will need to do minor adjustments when you get the windscreen. It was designed that way so there was room for different canopy's.
I think I needed to adjust two spots and had i fit pretty much flush after one adjustment. Granted they used my canopy as the prototype.
Be sure you get the side windows they should fit right in, they were designed around another canopy as I already had my windows in when Cee Baileys asked for the help. There is no doubt the quality of the plexi is much better and there is less work with install. I would absolutely do the same windscreen if I needed to.

Digidocs[
I second 9GT, you have plenty of plexi on top, trim that and the left side back and slide the plexi back accordingly. You'll be covering tht area with flow and fiberglass . I used 2" fiberglass and covered 1 inch over the plexi. I think you would be fine if you did the same thing. Just be sure to have a good fit around the canopy, the bottom gaps get filled with flox and multiple layers of glass. As I mentioned above I have a perfectly fitting C Baileys winscreen.

Pascal

Last edited:
Question

What did you use to bond the Cee Bailey windshield? I am planning on Lord adhesive but it looks like many have used Sika with good results. Lots of horror stories with weld on...

Just curious...

+1 for LORD Adhesive

What did you use to bond the Cee Bailey windshield? I am planning on Lord adhesive but it looks like many have used Sika with good results. Lots of horror stories with weld on...

Just curious...

I have the stock transparencies and used the Lord 7545A/E adhesive and would do so again.

Color?

That adhesive is off-white in color. Does the color show through the windshield at the bond? If so, did you use some method to hide it?

Thanks!

Bob

windscreen

Dave did you get your window set right, the idea of trimming the front bottom edge a little where it sets onto the dash would be the correct thing to do first, it won't take much to drop that down to bring the sides in, leaving a little gap of 1/8" between the plexy glass and the joggle is also good to have to allow for expansion and contraction of the plexy glass.

Stamper,

I did get it to fit eventually. I started by trimming on the front ~5/16". This closed the gap partially and I was able to even up the rest by trimming the rear. It still needs a bit of work here and there, but I think it's going to work out.

David

Back