What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping thoughts

Tbone

Well Known Member
I have been thinking about camping (fly-ins, cheap travel, & such) and was trying to get ideas and thoughts. My goals are with 2 people, tent, small and comfortable chairs, sleeping pads and bags....possible small cooking utensils and effects. Compact and light of course. Will be normally during summer. I have been to several BMW bike rallies and those guys know how to pack everything! What have you found to be on your list? I will be flying a 7 tip-up..

Backpacking gear from REI works for me.

Love these chairs for their size and wt.
http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

A two person Hammack is one of our favorites if we have any trees.

We have the gear and personal bags down to 80 lbs in our -8 and room to spare.
The last pics is what we take, your list with a lite 4 man tent, sleeping pads and so forth. Glass bottled beer is not included.

21cgln9.jpg

29vze40.jpg

2q396py.jpg

Last edited:
Look at www.campmor.com for good prices.

Having done a LOT of backpacking, I already had the equipment; however, I upgraded to a three person backpacking tent from REI to give us a little room.

As for your camp stove, my preference is to use white gas AKA Colman fuel. This is because I have seen the valve fail on the little canisters while hiking in the mountains and would hate for that to happen in my plane.

I use Zrest mattress pads. They are thin, fold up nice, and don't pop.

Camping equipment is one place not to go cheap! Your comfort is very important. Tent, sleeping bag, mattress, and stove are critical.

NC08.jpg

(Photo by Eric Davis.)

Last edited:
Thanks Bill & Bruce,
I have checked out REI and have got some good ideas. Campmor next...I have always loved camping and would love to combine it with flying when I finish my project...plus would save some money on some of the trips that I would only be able to do with my own plane.

A two person Hammack is one of our favorites if we have any trees.
Bruce you forgot to add (assuming two girls from the tent next to us arent using it all the time) :D

Look forward to meeting up again at Columbia- Memorial Day weekend!

Pascal

Hi Pascal

Our camping parties are getting bigger. We might be looking for a even bigger Hammack, and start building a -10. :)
The tents were ok but the bike strapped to the LG slowed us down some.
v4554l.jpg

We do have our exchange student from Germany with us, also from a RV family. So logistics might change for Memorial Day. You should come up to Oregon, allowing us (Katie) to drive to camping too.

Back