What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing gdl82 with gtx327,gdl39 3D g-5

Gizmos

I have a gtx 327,gdl39 3D , 796 and g-5 and want to install gdl82.does anyone have this set up or any suggestions?

I have similar setup

I have a Dynon D-100 versus your G-5 but the rest of my setup is the same GTX327, GDL39 3D and 796. From an installation perspective the GDL82 install does not impact the GDL39 or the 796. The install is very straightforward with connection between the 327 and the 82 and the addition of the GPS antenna and connection to the 82 for the certified WAAS GPS position, along with power, ground and any chosen external switches and fault light.

I would think that the only impact of the G-5 would be if that were to provide the WAAS certified GPS input for the GDL82 versus the internal GPS receiver thereby saving you one GPS antenna (and cable) however I did not see the G-5 listed in the GDL82 install manual as a valid GPS source for ADSB Out so I do not know if this is acceptable, I assume that would require hooking up the RS232 wiring.

There are other notes in some of the GDL82 install threads about connectors, coax etc. that might be useful also.

FWIW my system has worked flawlessly since the install.
Hope this helps.
Figs

With the gdl39 and 82, can you use just one antenna.. maybe a splitter?

Hello Gizmos,

Are you referring to the GPS antenna?

The GDL 39 has an internal GPS antenna, and if you use it with a Garmin portable like your 796, it doesn't even need that one since it receives GPS data from the 796.

Thanks,
Steve

The GDL 39 has an internal GPS antenna, and if you use it with a Garmin portable like your 796, it doesn't even need that one since it receives GPS data from the 796.
Steve
:eek: I know you have mentioned this before but it never clicked, I still have the rubber ducky antenna sticking up on the dash, assume I can remove this as the unit is hard wired to the 796.
Figs

For Gizmos
The issue is that for ADSB out a certified WAAS gps is required, neither the GDL39 or the 796 have a certified gps. In my case the 796 works fine on the internal antenna so I did not install the external one and based on Steve's comment I can remove the GDL39 antenna so the only external gps antenna I will have is the GPS antenna that come with the GDL82

Last edited:
Steve
:eek: I know you have mentioned this before but it never clicked, I still have the rubber ducky antenna sticking up on the dash, assume I can remove this as the unit is hard wired to the 796.
Figs

For Gizmos
The issue is that for ADSB out a certified WAAS gps is required, neither the GDL39 or the 796 have a certified gps. In my case the 796 works fine on the internal antenna so I did not install the external one and based on Steve's comment I can remove the GDL39 antenna so the only external gps antenna I will have is the GPS antenna that come with the GDL82

Hello Figs,

The antenna sticking up out of the center of the GDL 39 is the ADS-B traffic and weather antenna, so no, you will not be able to remove that unless you replace it with another ADS-B antenna.

The GDL 39 GPS antenna that is not needed when you connect a Garmin portable to the GDL 39 is internally mounted (not visible).

Dh0AvojW5K5TohKOqe2Lzdu10hWXmX8GdXIEPdkaVewfancHewV-Q3EExo1VlBetdHnAnQByyc888o7mQfrxy5EXcie6zTBwlBwpkbLPrYhmkwVS_GN2RJQNWohSzjzSAIKVyQfs30HqRyALQluNhavlnpFrZEnc4xtA0ZoDlLrH3fpumfLqCEjNWkvHI0v41nBS49pUvXERhpPKHoEDBFefINLAgPoiutYwJBZZMg6R6_s1vDnGUvwnQ3yQXDZ0Fn9cLLYbSXCYmnQd9ta2MXKzX2BY7WOFNJQDau5xYrKFHQ0iJx-op42apz7XJj65noaacUgmiSoHvsuMUbzjsf8HchzwuXdaXsGXR6apeOeMKwOMlxntgVd1Tr_8sQ8pZt24kEA5HnNuZU_RDhRTJe8kRqECtElxhGSRbVBI6hL5CbgXjfXVfzEQwfnyasfJ2v1je596q2knBd-c8bYy5khZsQ_OlQWuvKSPbc2D4ips-XCtez7Ckwfzc5RrT4eIQXs63tnWEFO1nmetthnWhwLNZ6PUhXcIgoN6UZt_pzqoykMdhvncOhLwSIHKzdyIjBv7jbvcLalaD1r5vZKw5M5f0ypL64OarMx76Qo=s150-no

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks again

This answer my question and save me lots of time reading and still possible not getting it right . On with my install.

Back