What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlightBox ADS-B "IN" to GRT WS EFIS

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
Last fall I contacted Steve Sokol at Open Source Solutions and ordered the USB to serial port connection and a new SIM card with the updated software. Well, they set on my shelf until this week when I wired up my FlightBox to my bottom GRT Horizon WS EFIS. I mounted the FlightBox behind my head with Velcro and ran the wire so that it's secure but totally out of the way. Connected the orange wire to pin 19 (serial port 2 in) and the black wire to ground as directed. Trimmed off the other "useless" wires and heat shrunk every fitting to secure everything.

Fired things up and I had ads-b "in" traffic and weather displayed on the bottom EFIS. Love it! The FlightBox now sends data (wifi) to my iPad and EFIS (wired to serial port 2). Now I just need to address ads-b "out." The harder and more expensive part.

It'll either be upgrading my G330 to Es and installing the G20A for WAAS gps data or installing the Appearo ESG. Still thinking!

Before you sink $$ into an OUT solution, take a look at the product announced by Levil... An "all in one" ADSB-OUT solution where everything is packed into the antenna. Just plug in power and ground, and run a thin coax to a GPS antenna puck mounted on the top side of the aircraft. MSRP $1400. Makes Garmin's $1250 fee to upgrade the GTX330 to ES look pretty outrageous.

With the Levil you would keep your GTX330 - the Levil device "sniffs" squawk code off the transmitted transponder signal.

There are some good, well-integrated solutions coming out from Levil and uAvionix - I would really give them a long, hard look before spending bucks on the more traditional Garmin-based solutions.

Mark,

Like I said "still thinking." The only solution I'm not presently considering is the NavWorx option. Having sat on the sideline and observed the lack of responsiveness by Bill Moffet to his current customer base I honestly have no desire to purchase his product.

I'm sure the FAA did not treat him fairly (from what I've read) but he owed his current customers periodic communications on what was occurring. He failed in that responsibility, and although his technical approach was solid, his product no longer interests me.

There appears to be some interesting ads-b solutions coming out and therefore I do not feel the need to rush to a decision.

Jim, I just ordered and received the serial output cable for the Flightbox. I am seeing that the USB connector will not fit into the original box even with the small notch cutout in the box removed. Did you have to make a bigger cutout for the USB connector and let it protrude from the box.

-- Sam Hart

Be careful with Flightbox vendor. He does not always send what has been paid for, and then ignores emails asking for refund or for him to send the item.
The backup from this vendor when you have problems is non existent. The unit I have does not work reliably - I think it may have a software bug. Again, when help needed none is provided, and does not answer emails.

UPDATE 26 Nov 17 (see post 10 below from me). NOT a software issue, but fix was a new GPS Module that vendor sent.

Last edited:
Be careful with Flightbox vendor. He does not always send what has been paid for, and then ignores emails asking for refund or for him to send the item.
The backup from this vendor when you have problems is non existent. The unit I have does not work reliably - I think it may have a software bug. Again, when help needed none is provided, and does not answer emails.

No offense, but I beg to differ with you here. I'm the vendor. I'm a one man shop and I do the best I can to keep up with over 3000 customers. I do reply to emails and phone calls - sometimes not as quickly as I would like.

What was missing from your order? What isn't working? Have you checked out our troubleshooting guide and FAQ?

Thanks,

Steve

Tankerpilot 75,

There is new software for your Horizon WS that will improve the presentation of the ADS-B information from your Flight Box receiver. It is version 36 beta 4.

With the new serial card from Flight Box, you should also be able to increase the baud rate to 115200 for your ADS-B data.

Jim Butcher

No offense, but I beg to differ with you here. I'm the vendor. I'm a one man shop and I do the best I can to keep up with over 3000 customers. I do reply to emails and phone calls - sometimes not as quickly as I would like.

What was missing from your order? What isn't working? Have you checked out our troubleshooting guide and FAQ?

Thanks,

Steve

Internal GPS module was missing. I ordered and paid for 2, only one arrived. You were contacted to get second sent and agreed to but none arrived. Since then no reply to my repeated emails asking for second GOS module to be sent. Ref MISSING Order #4201.

Last edited:
rjtjrt -

Mia culpa. Your second GPS module is on its way. Please accept my apology. I sincerely thought it had been sent out several weeks ago.

Best Regards,

-S

The missing GPS module arrived today - thanks.
I have fitted it to the Flightbox in place of first GPS module and it now works well. So not a software issue but was a hardware fix.

Mark,

Like I said "still thinking." The only solution I'm not presently considering is the NavWorx option. Having sat on the sideline and observed the lack of responsiveness by Bill Moffet to his current customer base I honestly have no desire to purchase his product.

I'm sure the FAA did not treat him fairly (from what I've read) but he owed his current customers periodic communications on what was occurring. He failed in that responsibility, and although his technical approach was solid, his product no longer interests me.

There appears to be some interesting ads-b solutions coming out and therefore I do not feel the need to rush to a decision.

I suspect he treated the FAA with an approach similar to his customers and that was the reason for his problems. It explains why no other companies walking down this path have experienced problems. You need to treat "big brother" with some level of respect if you hope to accomplish things.

Sorry haven?t checked this thread in a while - been traveling!

Mr Butcher,

Thanks for the info on the WS software update. I?ll look into this update. My only real concern is that it appears to be a ?beta? update. I?ll have to visit with GRT about this software update.

Sam,
I did have to enlarge the cut out a little and the USB connector does protrude out of the box but that?s not really a problem for me. When I saw at OSK how Steve Sokol had his mounted on the floor between the back of the seats I decided to mount it the same way using the external antenna that Mr. Sokol sells. This was a significantly better way to mount the FlightBox and ensured, using the external antennas, that the antennas were correctly oriented (straight up).

Another benefit I discovered after hardwiring the FlightBox to my lower GRT WS EFIS is that no matter what I have selected when in Map Mode (terrain, radar, obstacles, etc.) I always get traffic information displayed on the lower EFIS.

Everyone,
All my dealings with Steve Sokol at Open Flight Solutions have been superb. I have found him to be a great vendor and always customer oriented and works hard to satisfy his clients. As far as I?m concerned his product far out performs the competition at a significantly lower cost.

Back