What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Display Installation Location on -9A Panel

Snoho3

Well Known Member
Building a tip-up -9A. Was able to fasten the panel to the sub structure this evening for the first time and got confused about something. Of course I had to take a minute to sit in the left seat. As I was imagining a 10 inch Skyview screen in front of me I realized that directly behind where the screen would be mounted is the rib that provides the structure that the panel mounts to. That means there is no depth available behind the panel to accommodate the Skyview unit.

For other -9A tip-up builders - what am I missing here? How does a 10" SV unit get installed directly in front of the left (or right) seat? If it needs to be offset it would seem a significant offset would be required. Comments appreciated.

Thanks

- Lars

I have the same setup as you, SkyView 10" (HDX1100) in a 9A tip-up. I moved the left rib outboard a little more than 3". This is just the rib aft of the sub-panel. I cut a piece of angle and drilled it to the rib at the aft face of the the sub-panel. I then cut the rib at the aft face of the sub-panel and used that angle to attach the cut off part to the sub-panel 3" to the left. I then drilled new holes through the panel to line up with the new rib location.

I got my inspiration from Bruce Hill. You can see pictures and descriptions of what he did here.

Yep, just cut them off and move them over towards the center. You just need to fabricate some aluminum angles to reattach the ribs to the subpanel.

Had the same problem. Cut them off and moved them inboard a little. "That looks about right" was the correct amount.
7384687330_05c1ef17e9_z.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the replies and pics. Very helpful! I may wait til I have a better idea of what else I want on the panel before making any cuts and actually moving the rib, but good to know how others have addressed this.

This forum, and you guys, are a great resource. More dumb questions to come, I'm sure.

Lars

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the replies and pics. Very helpful! I may wait til I have a better idea of what else I want on the panel before making any cuts and actually moving the rib, but good to know how others have addressed this.

This forum, and you guys, are a great resource. More dumb questions to come, I'm sure.

Lars

Many tape full scale cutouts of the panel components and sit and rearrange them frequently.

One advantage of the tip-up is that the back of the panel as well as the sub-panel are accessible ( sort of).

One additional thing to think about, is the fact that the panel layout is 3D. Think about the clearance between the panel and the sub-panel as well as the clearance for connectors and wiring that will also be there. Some avionics have a significant depth behind the panel that may block areas on the sub-panel.

One additional thought, try and delay final purchase of the panel components as long as you can. Progress and change is frequent in the Dynon System ( My Display) as well as the other vendors. After I committed to my layout, Dynon announced a couple of new displays, a net-hub, Comm system and a couple of Knob components. All could revise your layout greatly!

One additional thought, Vans has published a paper on additional allowable wiring holes through the center spar. I would do that early as the existing holes fill rapidly, even on a simple panel layout.

One additional thing to think about, is the fact that the panel layout is 3D. Think about the clearance between the panel and the sub-panel as well as the clearance for connectors and wiring that will also be there. Some avionics have a significant depth behind the panel that may block areas on the sub-panel.

This is good advice, especially when it comes to the tubing and fittings for pitot and static connections on the back of multiple instruments. It can get awfully tight between the panel and subpanel.

One additional long range planning tip.

Make several copies of the three view drawing and start ( With a pencil) to sketch the locations of major components in the proposed locations and their wiring requirements.

All Antennas locations, ELT location, AHARS location, Landing lights, Nav lights and Strobes, Aux power outlets, AP Servo locations, Pitot power, serial cables, pitot lines and static lines, OAT sensor..........

Connect each component from its location to the panel location with a line to plan its route. Make a note to record how many wires are in each line. At this time mark the central spar pass through holes on the drawing and start to be plan which will be used for each component. Also plan what goes through the floor tunnel and what is to be routed along the cockpit sides.

Did I mention, use a pencil with a BIG ERASER.

One additional long range planning tip.

Make several copies of the three view drawing and start ( With a pencil) to sketch the locations of major components in the proposed locations and their wiring requirements.

And while it was mentioned about the pencil - a reminder NOT to use a pencil on the aluminum panel itself - use a sharpie. A pencil uses carbon, which will react (slowly, but will react) with the aluminum and can cause galvanic corrosion.

Good suggestions all - thanks. I do plan to start taping on pics of displays and switches to the panel. It'll make my shop flying that much more realistic, if nothing else.

In fact I just noticed and saved a .pdf on another thread today about drilling additional wiring holes in the main spar bulkhead. I have a feeling I am going to need that - I have been wondering about that for awhile now. Access doesn't appear to be too hard at this point (but it's not like the bulkhead is sitting up on my bench, either).

I am actually wondering why I'd run wires up the tunnel at all. I can see already that not all my wiring will fit there so I am planning 1 or 2 conduit runs under the baggage/seat floors. I still have them opened up. Maybe leave the tunnel open for wiring associated with later retrofits, if ever needed.

Lars

PS - unrelated, but just today I finally ordered my finish kit. Looking forward to taking the next step!

Back