What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ULPower to create 6-cylinder 200hp motor

breister

Well Known Member
The Belgian company ULPower has announced 6-cylinder growth versions of their 4-cylinder lineup that has been very successful for small aerobatic aircraft and compares well in reliability with the Jabiru in the same power class.

Full FADEC; electronic ignition; slightly better hp/weight than Lycoming claimed.

Photo 1
Photo 2

Doesn't look like it will mount a C/S prop, but should be very smooth with 6 cylinders and should have a wider range of rpm producing nearly full power.

Original story - scroll to the bottom. Not much other info.

They have some very interesting stuff coming up in the LSA market.

Would like to get a closer look some time.

Maybe if I can ever get to Osh.

Glenn Wilkinson

At 220 lbs. I believe this is substantially lighter than a 200 hp Lycoming. Impressive if true.

Would be interesting to hear what reliability has been like in the field. Let's hope they've done a better job on the initial design than Jabiru did!

I like the FADEC and crossflow heads. Nice, clean, simple design.

I wish them luck in the market.

There's always a catch and the catch here is the engine speed that it delivers the power at. 3300rpm for the 260 and 350 so I would expect the 6-cylinder to be very similar. No reduction drive, of course.

Nice engine though with a few interesting features.

Yes, I figured like the Jabiru engines, the rated power is at well over the 2700 rpm we typically see Lycomings rated at. My comment was more about the light weight. Of course the power to weight ratio is not so attractive at 2700 rpm and I wonder what props people will be installing on these engines?

In this hp range, it would be nice to see an integral prop governor.

You would think so, but given that it is a "growth engine" from the 4-cylinder versions is understandable.

Converted their prices for the 130hp version and, based on that, expect significant sticker shock once they announce the prices for the 6-cylinder versions.

Haven't seen this 6 cylinder engine before. When looking at the performance of the 350iS, it has top torque around 2300 rpm. So from 2700 to 3300 it only produces around 10 HP more. At 2700 rpm it produces 120 HP. The 6 cyl 5.2 liter engine would produce 180+ HP at 2700 RPM.

http://www.ulpower.com/engines/ul350iS/performance.html

The price of the 5.2 liter will probably be about 50% more than a similar Lycoming clone with carb and mags, but from ULPower you get a smooth 6 cylinder with full fadec.

No Comparison...

Markedly different than any offering from any company so far, a truly modern design. Big thumbs ups for me, FADEC, modern Electronic Ignition integrated Fuel Injection (like cars have had for 10 years) Automotive Spark plugs (I've been using Autolite 386's with my EI for 15 years) and multiple fuel capability. Auto fuel is actually preferred. I like the idea of 200HP at 200 lbs...

Here is a thread from the Thorp T-18 group, a PDF on their engines and a recent AVWEB U-Tube video covering their products:

http://forum.thorpaircommand.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6829
Thorp T-18 Thread

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...e118819f5e1e5b&bpcl=40096503&biw=1610&bih=914
PDF file
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ncmHS5924
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
From the PDF file in the above Google search (direct link to the PDF), you can see from the dyno chart that at 2700rpm, the 200 hp engine is putting out about 175hp.

Good in comparison to the engine weight, but I'd prefer being able to use the full power and a CS speed prop. :)

Also, converting 27,250 Euros to USD yields just under $36,000. Though often, the US price for imported products ends up less than the straight conversion. Let's hope so in this case.

3200 rpm c/s props?

Looks like we need to start getting Whirl Wind or someone to make a prop that they will rate to 3200 rpm.

problem is, with a 72" prop, that gives a tip Mach number of over 0.91 at sea level, so a bunch of that power is going to be wasted as noise.

My hangar-mate used to have a C-185 with a 80" prop (for float planes)
and at 2800 rpm, his tip Mach no. was 0.88 and it was INCREDIBLY noisy.

When looking at the curves for the 520i and 520iS you will have 170 or 180 HP at 2800 rpm. What we get is a modern smooth running 6 cylinder with FADEC as a drop in replacement for a Lyc 320 or 360.

There's a prop for that!

Looks like we need to start getting Whirl Wind or someone to make a prop that they will rate to 3200 rpm.

All of Craig Catto's props are rated to 3200 RPM. In fact, before building he asks you what max RPM at Sea Level you desire. I have always chosen 2800 RPM. (why? @11,500' I can get rated 2700 RPM). The sweet spot on all his props is around 2550. www.cattoprops.com
In testing numerous props on my RV4, HR2 and current RVX (Nine C/S and FP) The Catto 2 Blade composite with nickel leading edges reins supreme. Smooth, efficient and literally maintenance free. Many people desire C/S props for their RV's but having owned 2 and taken care of all their associated "support structure" and extra weight, the FP composite is a nice compromise. Combined with a lightweight, smooth 6 cylinder engine, I can already "feel the power"...

Guess I'd better start saving my pennies...:)

V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org

Last edited:
Hah, see my old thread got resurrected. As I predicted in the sticker shock department, current exchange rate puts the 200hp version at $42,834.28. Pretty pricey.

Although a bit heavier, the 408 offers 180hp for continuous operation at 2700rpm, probably for about the same price or perhaps a bit less.

Seems there is still no magic bullet...

Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer a narrated walk through over an industrial/dance music soundtrack. :)

Back