What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HX/430W/GTX 345 Interconnect drawing?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hi folks -

Just wondering if anyone else has already done this homework before I start downloading a bunch of separate references and doing a drawing.

I am swapping my GTX 327 for a 345 (without GPS module) in the Valkyrie, which has had a rock-solid Dual GRT HX/430W/Digiflight II/237 configuration for quite a few years. Wired per the drawing in the GRT manual and web site. That drawing predates ADS-B by a few years now, and there is no reference to ADS-B+ format, which I know we need.

Just curious if anyone has done a swap with this config and has a drawing to show. If not, I'll get started n a bunch of research.....(or I'll call Stein on Monday!).

I don't have this setup, but you will need to run a wire directly from the 430W (RS232 out, configured for ADSB+) to the transponder.
You need relatively recent software in the 430W to get the ADSB+ format.

I don't have this setup, but you will need to run a wire directly from the 430W (RS232 out, configured for ADSB+) to the transponder.
You need relatively recent software in the 430W to get the ADSB+ format.

Thanks Bob - you confirmed what I was thinking.

Hello Paul,

If you wish for the GNS 430W to both provide GPS data to the GTX 345 and receive ADS-B traffic and weather from the GTX 345, connect a bi-directional RS-232 connection from the GNS 430W to one of the 4 serial ports on the GTX 345.

This GNS 430W RS-232 port will be configured for "ADSB TFC WX" and the corresponding RS-232 port on the GTX 345 will be configured for "GNS".

For the GNS 430W to receive traffic, there must also be an A429 Output on the GTX 345 configured for "TRAFFIC" and an A429 Input on the GNS 430W configured for "ADSB TFC".

Service Bulletin 1606, Rev. B is used to install GNS 430W main software V5.30 which adds support for the GTX 345.

Please contact us if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve - I didn't want to bother you guys on the weekend, but now the info is preserved here for those coming along behind as well..... :)

I just installed a GRT HXr, 430W, and GTX345 in my airplane. I drew a basic interconnect diagram for serial and 429 connections. PM me your email address and I'd be happy to send it over.

Caleb

Caleb;

The GRT site still shows the GTX345 as a 'closed system' and not usable at this time. I assume that has changed but wanted to see how your installation went.

Caleb;

The GRT site still shows the GTX345 as a 'closed system' and not usable at this time. I assume that has changed but wanted to see how your installation went.

Went fine - just got an ADS-B report on it yesterday, and it is running perfectly.

Paul

Went fine - just got an ADS-B report on it yesterday, and it is running perfectly.

Paul

I think the question was, ?Does it display traffic/wx on the GRT display, or just on the 430??. Even split screen, the HX has more display area than the 430.

Traffic and Wx on GRT

Hi Paul or Caleb,

Yours are the only posts I can find regarding the gtx 345 and the GRT.
Are you able to get traffic and weather on the hx display?

If so, how did you configure it?

Back