What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Sadness

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
As I was working on my canopy, I kept getting more debris getting under the edges of the protective plastic, so I bought a product to protect it until she is ready to fly, and finally peeled the factory plastic off.

At first I was scared at what appeared to be micro scratches, but they all came out with a cleaning of Plexus. Once it got shiny I could see a beautiful reflection, but then unfortunately I noticed that the canopy has a manufacturing flaw in it. :(

It is about 12-18 inches behind the pilot's head (thank god it wasn't in front) dead center at the top. I would guess maybe 1/8" distortion. The mold must have had an air bubble. I did my best with the photography, but as many of you know, it is almost impossible to get a good picture of that.

I would be willing to bet that your average joe would never notice it, unless it was pointed out to them, or they saw it from the right bad angle. Once I told my wife what I found, she said "Oh yeah, I can see right where it is". Obviously now that I know it is there, my eye hunts it out every time I look.

From the passenger seat, it will distort the reflection of the back of my head, and the the view of sky or clouds above us. It is probably exactly where someone would look if we were inverted, but I don't plan on a lot of that, if any.

Replacing it doesn't make sense, as it would require a new steel frame, powder coating of the frame, new skirts, new carbon fiber skirt interiors, a new canopy, five pounds of Sikaflex (I jest) and a ton of hours. Even if Vans offered up a free replacement, which I doubt, it would just not make sense.

My question: Is their anything I can do about it short of replacing it?

I was leaning in the direction of having a Koger sunshade before I discovered this. Hopefully that would hide it a bit, and not make it more noticeable. It is greatest exactly where it's spine attaches to the canopy.

View from the outside

2h6evbt.jpg

View from the inside

e5fy8n.jpg

View of the deflection (with the convex surface, the paper should only be touching in the center, so the deflection is about double the distance you see here).

fvilcg.jpg

How common is this issue?

Getting ready to order my finish kit. Do people normally inspect for this type of flaw prior to begining work? That would require peeling off the protective cover, obviously. Not sure how I feel about that. How common are these flaws? Anyone else discover a flaw in their canopy?

Inspection up front

I had the same thoughts. I figured I would wreck the canopy if I didn't leave the plastic on. After having done it, I guarantee that I would have.

I also doubt that I could have detected this through the plastic even if I new it was there, and exactly what it is was.

It's a Catch-22 for sure. Maybe ask Vans what they recommend.

Last edited:
I took all the plastic off when I started the canopy, unless your playing foot ball in the garage with your project, it's not hard to protect these items. Kept it covered with a soft blanket.

Install your Koger, you will want one for sure anyway, build on, and do your best to forget about it.

My -8 canopy has the same flaw in almost the same spot. I never noticed it until about a month after I bought it. Its not in my line of sight so I forgot about it about as fast as I noticed it. Not one passenger has noticed or said anything about it.

There are guys that are pretty good with free-forming canopies and such with a heat gun. Without seeing it in person, I can't really say at all, but it might be possible for someone to work it into shape.

There is a canopy maker in SoCal that is very good. Aircraft Windshield Company in Los Alamitos. You might be able to take the whole thing over to them for advise, and perhaps they can fix it on the frame for you.

Back