VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What did you install?
Garmin 67 26.38%
Dynon 85 33.46%
AFS 42 16.54%
MGL 13 5.12%
Grand Rapids 53 20.87%
Chelton 0 0%
Aspen 1 0.39%
Other 4 1.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Would you do it again - EFIS?

With thousands of EFIS systems being sold and installed over the last 15 + years... Would you do it again?? Not, would you install a glass cockpit.. Would you install the same EFIS? Take into consideration the quality, the features, the installation, the service, the company, price, in warranty and out of warranty support, documents, etc. Would you buy the same or go a different path? And why......
Garmin
Dynon
AFS
Chelton
MGL
Grand Rapids
Aspen
Other
A&P IA

Last edited by FasGlas : 11-21-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up Garmin G3X Repeat Offender

We are building a RV14A now with a full Garmin Touch / GTN panel. This is my 3rd Garmin G3X RV panel, and I had the Garmin Perspective system in a Cirrus as well.

Here are my top "baker's dozen" reasons for selecting Garmin again in no particular order. I'm sure these many of these are not unique to Garmin, and I'm glad that there is good competition in the market!

1. The product is produced by a large, publicly traded company that has a long, excellent reputation for making certified aviation products. The G3X team has access to those resources to develop their experimental products.

2. I like having my certified GPS navigator (GTN) and other components (MFD/PFD, radios, transponder/ autopilot, audio panel, etc.) all from the same company.

3. I like the tight integration of these products with each other and the CAN bus architecture.

4. Excellent support from both Garmin and Steinair who built my panels both during and after the warranty period.

5. Very high quality products with great reliability in my experience.

6. Great documentation and iPad / PC trainers (GTN and Perspective).

7. Ease of updating databases.

8. Ease of updating the software on the LRUs.

9. My personal familiarity with Garmin products and their user interfaces.

10. Similarity of the user interfaces of the certified GPS navigator (GTN) and the PFD / MFD (G3X).

11. Tight integration of the G3X / GTN and iPad / Foreflight.

12. Continuous updates for all of the components.

13. Direct, fast access to the very knowledgeable G3xperts team and their direct participation on this forum.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Dynon in one plane, GRT in the other. Both have been solid as a rock.

The next panel I build will likely have GRT equipment. I like how one can get a big 10.1" screen in a drop-dead-simple installation - the Sport 10.1 is, to my mind, the ultimate VFR "quick and easy" solution.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Fourth build now with Dynon
Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

RV 10 had GRT, twice if you consider the upgrade when I went to the larger HX.

The new plane is getting triple GRT screens. Two brand new, one first gen WS.

Highly recommend them, and unlike other brands they play nicely with the other kids.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 AM

I installed an early Dynon D10, I was going to replace it with an D10A but I decided to go with the Garmin G5. I was happy with both but the Garmin isn't as deep so it takes up less room behind the panel, and it costs less. I am considering putting in a G3X in the future.
first flight May 2, 1997
RV8 #83830 tail started
Old 11-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Default GRT and Garmin

I bought a 2007 RV-9A with a GRT Horizon WS, the old AHRS, the old analog magnetometer, and an EIS 4000. IFR gear was a 430W.

I added a Garmin G5 as a backup attitude indicator, and to drive a Garmin autopilot with the 307 controller.

I decided to upgrade the Horizon WS system to a Horizon EX with the new adaptive AHRS and the digital magnetometer. The AHRS was truly a plug and play swapout. The magnetometer needed very minor work to install (I had to create a new d-sub connector that was female and that used fewer wires, basically). The EFIS box itself is the last part of that project and will require a bit of surgery since the mounting screws for the WS and EX are in different places (goodness knows why).

I'll also lose the VOR/ILS indications that I currently get on the WS unless I spring for an additional AIRINC module and do the necessary panel spelunking and wiring. Probably won't do that because I'll still be getting GPS from my 430W indicated on the EX, and because the G5 indicates everything.

Anyway, the upgrade process (combined with my ignorance....) has regularly exposed me to GRT technical support, which I would rate as EXCELLENT. Their manuals, etc., are not quite as good but have shown very marked improvement lately.

Bottom line, I would go with GRT again in a heartbeat.

Garmin... Well, I am a huge fan of the Garmin G5. It's enormous bang for the buck, and the backup capabilities are outstanding, especially with the integrated battery (which I had to make use of one night, long story). Quality of manuals etc. has been very good.

My experience with the autopilot, and Garmin customer support for that hardware, was *considerably* less pleasant. Long story short, I'm convinced that I and others in the experimental world paid Garmin for the privilege of beta testing that system. The best that can be said is that it's working now.

Given that experience, and Garmin's policies with respect to repairing 430Ws, I don't think I would go with Garmin again.

Unless I needed another G5.
2020 Dues Paid
Old 11-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Everyone likes what they bought. Very few will say, “Well, I just spent $20K and it was a mistake...”. It’s just human nature.
I went with GRT. I like the ability to choose among various accessories (e.g., adsb—I’m not locked into one brand). I like the fact that it will find an attitude solution without gps or airspeed. I want (and have) a backup efis from a different manufacturer (Dynon) that is not connected to anything else. I have an autopilot (Trio) that works flawlessly with the Hx, but can work independently should the efis fail. And of course, there’s money. When you add up all the boxes, I think I got what I wanted at the lowest total price.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Very few will say, “Well, I just spent $20K and it was a mistake...”.
I wish I could say, "I just spent $20k on my panel".
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
Old 11-21-2019, 01:58 PM

The strong headway that Dynon and GRT are making against Garmin in the glass panel market is fairly impressive and tells a story there.

Garmin may still be the leader, but they are certainly not a majority leader any longer.