What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety Wire Turnbuckles

acam37

Well Known Member
I did a search on safety wiring turnbuckles and have found very little useful info on the subject. I need to safety the turnbuckles on my rudder cables and would like to see how it's properly done.
Mine has a hole in the barrel and on the cable end, but not on the tie rod end. There is a slot/groove around the outside of the tie rod so I assume it's for the wire. All I really need is a good picture for reference.

I just did an Image search on Google. There is a lot of pictures of how to safety them. Type in "Aircraft turnbuckle safety" and you'll find lots of info.

Hope this helps

Safety wire tie rod ends

Thanks guys, yes I've looked at most of those examples. I guess what I was meaning to ask was how do you go around the tie rod end that doesn't have a hole to go through? I don't have a picture of my assembly for reference, but it is the tie rod that connects the rudder cable to the pedal. I guess you just go around the outside just as you would go through a hole.

2qu17v7.jpg

Not at home but aren't these the ones that need the provided little metal clips that snap in and not safety wire? Recheck thoroughly!

43:13

Look in 43 13. You should have a copy for reference since you are inexperienced.

not all of them

Not at home but aren't these the ones that need the provided little metal clips that snap in and not safety wire? Recheck thoroughly!

Not all of them are that type. You can still use safety wire if clips are not available.

The pic that DanH posted is not what I have. The tie rod has a bolt through it. As for the builders manual, I didn't build the plane and did not get it with the purchase. The safety wire that was on the turnbuckle before I took it off was really jacked up and the wraps looked terrible.
I've got a pretty good idea how it's supposed to go, but I just needed a picture to make sure I do it correctly.

Sorry - I had it in my head that this was for an Rv12. Mistake.

Last edited:
Use a fork end instead of a solid rod end at the pedal end and then this will work -

I second Gil (you're using the wrong termination on the turnbuckle), and in addition, the ends are not screwed into the body nearly enough. IIRC, the rule is not more than three threads showing. None showing is preferred.

(1) the rudder is not yet hooked up so I can't set the tension yet.
(2) this was the first owners setup, not mine.
This plane I'm working on is a 100% restoration. You can see what I've done over on the -4 page. I have found numerous problem areas that needed correction. This is just one more "fix". The simple solution is to order the correct fork instead of the supplied tie rod then I can make it work.
Problem solved

Are the rudder cables in a closed loop in the RV-4? If not what is the purpose of the turnbuckles? Just make a longer connecting bar like most other RV's, for the pedal location.

The question still remains in my mind, that, given these rod ends exist, can they be adequately safety wired?
Arlie has indicated he may replace the rod end, so the answer may be irrelevant in this case.

Perhaps they are not intended to be used in this application, but hypothetically speaking, can it be done (using lock wire) satisfactorily?

Paul

clips

The question still remains in my mind, that, given these rod ends exist, can they be adequately safety wired?
Arlie has indicated he may replace the rod end, so the answer may be irrelevant in this case.

Perhaps they are not intended to be used in this application, but hypothetically speaking, can it be done (using lock wire) satisfactorily?

Paul

That type of rod end uses a clip safety. He should have a forked one anyway.

Back