What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is the EFIS upgrade worth it.

tireguy

Hello all,

I?m thinking of up grading my twin screen GRT HS to the HX. My GRT system has been flawlessly functioning perfectly for over 8 years now.
I know this might just boil down to ?form over function? but the faster processor
and cool extras are pushing me to the upgrade, or am I falling for the bling?
Then.. if so, should I upgrade one or both screens.
They are stacked vertically and the lower screen I primarily leave on the engine
Page unless I?m on an approach, then it?s the EHSI.

Id love to hear from those who have flown behind both.. or anyones two cents worth..

Thanks.

I did this upgrade, and am very glad I did so.

The HX allows the engine info to display along the lower edge---------I had the forward view on my left screen, and Gods eye on the right, with engine stuff along the lower edge.

About the only time I ever had to flip screens was showing someone the system.

The image quality of the HX is vastly superior to the originals.

And, the wiring is 99% plug and play.

I have one HX, one HS. Mine are split left-right. Like you, I normally run the HS on the engine page. Unlike you, on approaches, I leave the HS on the engine page, and split the HX screen (PFD-HSI). I have given some thought to trading in the HS for an HX, for one reason: I use a Skyradar D2 for ADSB-in, connected via USB to the HX. It works great. However, the RS232 interlink between the boxes cannot handle the huge amount of weather data, so I display wx either on the HX (split screen) or on the iPad (WiFi connection to WingX). If I upgraded the HS to an HX, I could feed wx data over the ethernet cable interlink to the second display. But, with no other reason (and the iPad/HX split screen display of wx being okay) I have decided not to upgrade the HS.
I am glad I got at least one HX, as I used more serial ports on the HX than are available on the HS. The terrain simulation on the HX is nice, but I already have this on the Garmin 420W. So if I were you, I would not upgrade without a better reason than the bling. And then, just upgrade one.

Edit for Mike: My recollection is that you had the WS, not HS, screens. The HS show all the same split screen views as the HX.

Last edited:
Started with an WS, upgraded it to an HS then to HX, all before our airplane left the ground for the first time. Also installed a Mini-X.

I really like the extra serial ports on the HX - I didn't want to finish off the instrument panel design and have zero spare ports. The HX allows me to have spare ports for future growth.

The other thing I like about the HX was something I never really considered previously. To fly an approach, with the destination defined and waypoint ballons turned on, all one has to do is center the energy vector indicator (the bird) over the ballon and you will track the localizer perfectly, irrespective of wind speed and direction. I don't think I've ever flown an approach more easily than that.

I really like the resolution of the screen for displaying mapping as well, and the smoothness of the screen updates.

I do wish the HX had more even backlight dimming and a brighter backlight so as to match the Mini-X in maximum intensity. Setting the HX to brightness level 10 is about equal in perceived brightness to having the Mini-X set on brightness level 8.

I have two Sport SX units and fly some IFR. Most years at Oshkosh I ask Greg if I should upgrade. He runs through the differences and asks if any of them matter to me. I ponder about synthetic vision and measured AOA, but I live and mostly fly in the flatlands and the GRT derived AOA works well, so when I say no, he says keep what you have. GRT has done a good job of updating the software in all their EFIS so most of the new functionality is available even on the legacy units. The EFIS from all the different companies provide amazing capability. It is similar to cars. Do you really need a 2018 whiz bang or will the clunker you're driving now satisify your needs?

Jim Butcher

Thanks for all the help...
I’ve decided to update both screens, I’m sure one screen upgrade would be more then I’d really need,But, kinda feels like changing only one wiper blade on my windshield.
I braved the below zero temps today in my hanger at KLCI (Laconia,NH) and removed my screens in record time.. actually it wasn’t to bad, I stuck a 200 watt electric heater up by my rudder pedals, plugged it in, closed my canopy for two hours..
I was fairly comfortable working in the plane with the canopy closed..
Coldest part was the dash for the plane to the car,,,:eek:

Hope to have it back together for the opening of the iceport B18

Last edited:
You'll like the new glass, that's for sure. Also keep in mind the inter-display link with the HX can now go to the ethernet port rather than an RS232 serial so you should have another serial port available.

I?ve been thinking this over also, (HS to HX), it?s $2300 per box. I think I?ll wait, I have wx/traffic on both screens via my Navworx box and 2 available High speed ports on the HS, and if needed I could get the serial combiner and pick up more Hs ports. I don?t have any problems with the units, I can read them just fine, not as pretty as HX but $4600 looks rather pretty sitting in my wallet.
The NW unit has only days to live now ,so I?m hoping to get the same performance from my new Echo UAT.
Tim Andres
Cozy IV

GRT says $1800.00 per screen for upgrade to HX.. I have two 6.5 screens.
I?ve gone back and forth on spending the money..
In reality, this is a hobby we fund with disposable income. I can?t think of one good reason to justify this expense, except... It gives me immense joy!!!

When your dead.. your gonna be dead for ALONG TIME.. Depending on your religious view.. And with that thought..
The **** with it! I worked hard all my life. NEW SCREENS IT IS!! :)
It just makes me happy!

Woohoo - good for you! You're gonna like the new glass. I didn't fly behind our WS or HS, but as soon as I powered on the HX my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

Now we'll be standing by for a PIREP!

I can?t think of one good reason to justify this expense, except... It gives me immense joy!!!

When your dead.. your gonna be dead for ALONG TIME.. Depending on your religious view.. And with that thought..
It just makes me happy!

Good for you, I've already prepared my kids that if all goes as planned I'll be broke when I die :eek:

HA Ha Walt.. that?s brilliant!! No wonder my kids were giving me the stink eye when I announced my new screen purchase!!! :)

GRT says $1800.00 per screen for upgrade to HX.. I have two 6.5 screens.
I’ve gone back and forth on spending the money..
In reality, this is a hobby we fund with disposable income. I can’t think of one good reason to justify this expense, except... It gives me immense joy!!!

It just makes me happy!

I’ll have to call again, I was told $2300 back in the summer. maybe they lowered the price? Or maybe they are like the FAA, keep asking until you get an answer you like...

**Edit** I just looked on the GRT website, you are right, $1800 ea.
Recalculating......
Tim Andres

Last edited:
Got a call from Jon at GRT.. My upgraded HS to HX screens are on the way home!!
Fast turnaround! My screens arrived on Wednesday and shipped out Friday!!
And... And... The best part of all! They only charged me $1400.00 each and $27.39 for shipping with insurance.
Grand total of $2827.39.. Now I?m super happy I upgraded both screens!!
Maybe that was the discount. Anyway I didn?t ask..

Looking forward to putting them back in.

Back