What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weird questions from a newby

aerobatics.for.all

I'm New Here
Afternoon friends

I was about to start my RV8, but unfortunately I found out (the same day my tool kit shipped) that I'll be deploying for a year, so I'm in a hold for a while until I get back.

But I've been curious about a question revolving mostly around aerobatics.

Is it possible to/would it behoove me to, look at not installing flaps to save a little weight. Also is it possible to extend the ailerons the full length of the wing. Has anyone attempted this or is there no reason to.

Thanks for the thouhts

Andrew

I'm not an expert, and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but, I've never seen such a thing.

In addition, I would question the desire for more aileron authority as the 8 comes around pretty quickly in stock form.

The question seems a bit odd though because none of the RVs are built for hard core high end aerobatics, but rather "gentleman's aerobatics". No tail slides and such. As well, the wing is not built for inverted flight. It'll do it, but not like a purpose built ship.

Those more in the know will be along shortly to give more knowledgeable advice though.

My suggestion would be that if your primary interest is to build a hard core aerobatic airplane, the RV-8 is the wrong choice.

The RV-8 isn't the best at anything, but it is very very good at a bunch of things.

Making the changes you are suggesting would destroy that, and in the process have an airplane that still isn't really good at aero.

Not to mention some of the structural considerations that you would have to evaluate because of the additional torsional loads that full span ailerons would apply.

My suggestion would be that if your primary interest is to build a hard core aerobatic airplane, the RV-8 is the wrong choice.

The RV-8 isn't the best at anything, but it is very very good at a bunch of things.

Making the changes you are suggesting would destroy that, and in the process have an airplane that still isn't really good at aero.

Not to mention some of the structural considerations that you would have to evaluate because of the additional torsional loads that full span ailerons would apply.

Hey thanks that's really sound advice, and good points. If I do Aerobatics with this machine, I only aim to take it through the Sportsman's catagory with the IAC, which I know it can do. Wasn't sure if anyone anywhere had ever done any modifications to try and take it further.

Thanks again!

From one F-16 pilot to another (I'm guessing from your flap / aileron question)...I see what you're thinking, and I recommend don't do it. You need those flaps so that you can get the "Vans total performance" of the design. Flaps are a good thing here.

To address a previous comment in this thread, I've flown a lot of competition aerobatics in the RV-8, and so have others here. The RV wing flies just fine inverted. It's not a symmetric airfoil, so you have to hold a touch of forward stick, but that's a non-issue. It flies inverted quite well.

If you intend to do regular aerobatics, and perhaps fly contests, you might consider fuel injection, inverted oil and a fuel tank flop tube. Easier to bake these into the pie now, rather than go back later.

Have a great deployment and keep your cranium down. ;)

It's been done...

I agree with the previous posts. Your RV-8, with the addition of fuel injection and inverted oil is perfectly capable of competition aerobatics at the Intermediate level. You could modify it as was done to the RV-4 in the following article but you would lose the utility and versatility that make the RV the famous "total performer" and you would still not have the purpose built aerobatic airplane to compete with the likes of Extras, Panzls, MXs and others.

Having said that, it's your airplane. A few people have put RVs on floats. That didn't make them a Beaver. One guy put two engines on a RV-8. That didn't make it a Barron.

Back