What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 Expansion Plug Removal

Lizard Lips

I have just received and mounted a Lycoming IO-390 on my RV-14. Maybe I am not understanding all that I am reading, but one source says the Expansion Plug must be removed for constant speed props. That's all they say. Another source also says the expansion plug must be removed AND another expansion plug installed behind the "oil valve". If this is true where can I purchase this phantom expansion plug and how can it be inserted behind the oil valve?

I'm still trying to remove the outer expansion plug with no luck at all. Per VAF thread I have drilled a 1/4" hole in the plug, but where do I go from there? Tried inserting a Phillips screwdriver in the hole and prying it out but it won't budge. Any suggestions? I'm stuck! :confused:

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A Fuse and Wings ~80% Complete
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly
2019 Dues Paid

Plug

The front plug is similar to the expansion plugs on automotive engines. You need to partially collapse the plug, then it will pop right out. Take a piece of steel bar 3/4 or so in diameter. Round the edges slightly. Hold the bar on the center of the plug and strike it with a hammer until the plug is "dished" in the opposite direction.
There is lots of info on the rear plug, you just have to search for it.

Drill hole
ofT.jpg

Auto body slide hammer
ofa.jpg

No need to do anything about a rear plug, it's ready to go when you remove front plug

FANTASTIC !!!!!!! A few licks with a 2-lb sledge hammer and it popped right out. You just gotta get its attention first! I really appreciate all the help I get from you guys. Thanks a bunch. :D:D::)

Joe

Longview, Texas

RV-14A Fuse and Wings 80%

Arion Lightning LS-1 flying regularly

2019 Dues paid

Back