What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!!

Vlad,

Yellow paint is Imron 5000, color is N0680. Single-stage paint. And in real life it is VERY yellow and very visible compared to most white or even reds.

Ron,

Canopy is not tinted at all - its just the standard canopy. I guess the photo just makes it look tinted.

Paint was done by Cardan in Red Bluff, CA.

cheers,
greg

Looks great Greg...even better in person! Nice work!

Mellow Yellow...hmmmm, new call sign? ;)

Plane's back up, so air to air pics are a go...as soon as our sked and the wx cooperate!

Cheers,
Bob

Got a great day today for doing some air-to-air. Here are a few photos, and a big Thanks to Bob and Julia (my wife) for doing the photo shoot. All I had to do was fly around and look good!

p1060611at.jpg

p1060638a.jpg

p1060741a.jpg

p1060824a.jpg

p1060834a.jpg

cheers,
greg

N510WM flies!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5013/p1080951.jpg

First flight of my RV-9A, N510WM occured Wednesday, January 27th. It flew great and every hour I've put on her since (16.2 as of the third day) gets better and better. Thanks to my tech counselor Jim Summers and EAA chapter president and repeat RV builder Mike Hathoway for all their help and advice which continues every day. What a thrill.

Keep pounding and scraping your knuckles and inhaling aluminum dust and proseal because it's more than worth all of that.

Best of luck to everyone. What a great community.

Last edited:
Nice Mike

Looks great. I hope you don't mine a clone down south from you. You guys really need to quit stealing my paint scheme ideas :)

The reward for perserverance!!!

Alrighty fellow -9er's. Here's a couple photos of my baby. Phase 1 complete! Hoping to take her on a short cross-country soon.:D

WOW

Jerry, Dude,

now that is one awesome looking RV-9. Love it!

I too am building a 9 not a 9A. Some of the few 9's out there.

again WOW good looking plane.

Alrighty fellow -9er's. Here's a couple photos of my baby. Phase 1 complete! Hoping to take her on a short cross-country soon.:D

How's the performance? I have the same engine and a 2-bladed Catto. Hoping to fly in a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It sure feels great to see 5 1/2 years of hard work finally flying through the air. For those wanting some performance numbers. At 5500 feet, 2400 rpm, the Dynon indicated a TAS between 143-148 kts, fuel burn at 7.2-7.5 gph @ 50 deg rich of peak. Got my eye set on a few fly-in pancake breakfast's in northern Indiana these next few weeks. Let the fun commence!!!! :)

Painted and flying for over a year

jim3s.jpg

jim2s.jpg

img0012s.jpg

Jimmie Akins
RV-9A, O-320/160HP, Hartzell CS, Dual Lightspeed Ignition,
Recently upgraded to Dual Skyview

My RV-9A (LOVE IT)

I have flown my new Baby 795 Hrs. in the last 4 years, and seems to just get better. I consistently see my cruise speed at 195 / 197 MPH and burn 7.2 gallons hr. like clock work. If i push it to top speed, it will achieve it's VNE of 210 with ease.
This is a great airplane and I couldn't be happier!

Regards, Allan...:D:D

Last edited:
N539RV

Wow, what a journey... 4 yrs and 1700 hrs. Completed flight testing Labor Day weekend and made two fun cross country trips before the Fall rains set in here in Oregon. Empty wt 1138 lbs. 8000 ft WOT 2650 RPM gives 191 mph TAS. 2500 RPM gives 185 mph and 2300 RPM 181 mph. When trimmed out & in smooth air, the plane cruises along "hot, straight and normal" without even touching the stick for extended periods of time. WOW! Good job Van's!!

finalscheme.jpg

n539rvdone.jpg

102panelnew.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a journey... 4 yrs and 1700 hrs. Completed flight testing Labor Day weekend and made two fun cross country trips before the Fall rains set in here in Oregon. Empty wt 1138 lbs. 8000 ft WOT 2650 RPM gives 191 mph TAS. 2500 RPM gives 185 mph and 2300 RPM 181 mph. QUOTE]

Did you install an O-320 / 160 hp? Very nice job!

Doug Lomheim
Ok City, OK

N539RV engine setup

I bought a used O-320 D3G which I ended up having zero'd out by Premier Aircraft Engines at KTTD, and had them convert it to Airmotive SilverHawk fuel injection and plumb in for Hartzell CS prop. I retained the left mag and installed Lightspeed Plasma II EI.

N2724G FLYING!

Flying as of Friday October 15, 2010... finally figured out how to post photos correctly...

1ze9gll.jpg

That's one great looking bird. Congratulations Sir! Could you please share any details on shipping/ferrying RV to Europe?

I bought a used O-320 D3G which I ended up having zero'd out by Premier Aircraft Engines at KTTD, and had them convert it to Airmotive SilverHawk fuel injection and plumb in for Hartzell CS prop. I retained the left mag and installed Lightspeed Plasma II EI.

How did you get it to perform so fast?

That's one great looking bird. Congratulations Sir! Could you please share any details on shipping/ferrying RV to Europe?

Hello Vlad,

Back in 2007 I bough a Sequoia F.8L Falco in Oregon and ferried it myself to Europe. The trip ended in a lake near Geraldton, Ontario after an engine failure in IMC from 11.000ft all the down to around 200ft above the surface. I wanted to avoid repeating that ordeal and opted to have the airplane ferried to South East Aero in St. Augustine, Florida. This company is specialized in dismantling, packing and crating aircraft. They have done more than 200 and did a great job with the RV9. We opted for a 40ft container and could have added another plane or a few cars to share the costs. Total time for ferry from Crystal River to St. Augustine, dismantling and crating, shipping across the North Atlantic and a truckdrive from Rotterdam to Maastricht was about 15 days. Not bad in my opinion. No damage at all and all parts, screws, washers etc etc were neatly packed and marked for easy re-installation. I ordered new NAS wing attach bolts from Vans. The old ones don't come out easily and you really want to avoid re-using those. I flew within a week after all paperwork with the Dutch CAA was taken care of.

All in all a very easy and straightforward deal. Total costs from door-to-door were around $ 7000. Add local taxes and import dues were they apply.
In our country we pay around 20% value added tax (VAT) but import dues are waived because it's an airplane.

If you need more information, let me know. I have done my fair share of importing, grew a bunch of grey hairs in doing so but came out with a lot of experience regarding "do's and don'ts".

Are you considering an import ?

No swiss watch...

but it's a pretty nice tractor! Kit 91841 has completed her first flight in the capable hands of good friend, CFII, engine builder, RV-9A builder - Don Jones. It flew well, with only minor adjustments needed.

Couldn't have built it without all the help from Don, my wife, and all the people on this forum. It seemed like every time I had a question, a search of the forums turned up a couple dozen "been-there-done-thats". I also got lots of help and suggestions from several of you at the LOE fly-ins.

This 9A is equipped with a Titan 320, AFP fuel injection, G3i ignition, SC-15 canopy, and Catto 3-blade prop. It has a full Classic Aero interior, back yard paint and weighed in at 1137 lbs.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Don and Russ - RV grins!

035.JPG

Looking forward to spending lots of time on the seat of this tractor! :D:D

Painted and waiting for snow to melt!

30lowp1.jpg

fd51qu.jpg

347w876.jpg

My C-17 USAF Reserve squadron patch, which I've been in for 12 years or so. When I was furloughed from the airline, my reserve squadron kept me gainfully employed and able to work on my plane. 3.5 years later, plane is done, I'm still in the reserves, and I'm back with the airline. (Don't think I'd ever put my airline logo on MY plane)

Last edited:
tail picture added above

Hey Mike,

See above, I added a picture of the tail, which is my USAF Reserves squadron patch. The 300th Airlift squadron in Charleston, SC. Been with them for a long time, and without those guys, my plane probably would have never been started.

Completed N904KJ

Well, my RV-9 is finally flying, after nearly 5 years and who knows how many hours. FAA sign off was done on July 13th 2010 and I did the first flight on July 20th. This was also the first flight for the newely rebuilt Lycoming 0-320, 150 hp engine. All went well, as I circled the airport over the broken ceiling at about 5500 MSL. The only discomfort I experienced after the flight was my aching “facial” cheeks as a result of the RV grin.
Equipment includes AFS 3500s/3400s EFIS/Engine monitor, AvMap EKPIV GPS, TruTrak Digiflight II 2 axis autopilot and ICOM A210 com radio. Engine is a 1967 Lyc. 0-320 E2C rebuilt stock 150HP with ECI TITAN EXP Cylinders, dual P-Mags, B&C 60A Alternator and Magnaflight light wt. starter. Prop is Catto 3 blade. Interior by Abby & Brad @ Flightline Interiors. They are awsome to work with and do excellent work.
True airspeed is 181mph @ 8500ft. Best fuel economy so far was 3.8 gph @ 2000rpm and 120mph. I love that part ;)
The paint was done in November by Euroaire Aviation in Reedsburg Wisconsin.
To date I have 101 hours and the grin is still just as big ;)
My wife Jane and I have taken several trips and many more are planned
Here are a few pictures.
Ken Klima
DSC03141.jpg

DSC03359.jpg

DSC03357.jpg

DSC02799.jpg

Last edited:
Tony, your right Ken's plane is beautiful...Yep, you guys have to come visit me at Schaumburg, 06C.. Mark C.

Here's another great photo of Ken's plane.

Ken, I remember some of my early flying (training) being done in WI on the hard-packed snow. My private checkride was out of Kenosha in winter, but I remember much colder further north. That's a great picture. Can't wait to follow your footsteps in my -7.

Beautiful airplane Ken!

I'm planing to put the same engine in my 9 so I liked seeing your performance numbers.

Back