What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Finished, Wings on Indefinite Hold

David Brent

One day before ordering the wings, my 4 year old dachshund blew out her back. She's 3 hours away in Dallas recovering from a $3,500 surgery. Wings or my little buddy? It didn't take long to decide. The wings can wait!
2w3x7d0.jpg

Priority for sure

Yep, you got the priority correct on this one.

Good helper, the wiener dog.................

DSC04880.jpg

Here is hoping yours comes through this good as new.

Last edited:
While it is disappointing to have your progress stopped on your -9A, I know if I was in your place, my decision would have been no different.
Here's to hoping for a quick recovery for your pup!

Hey David, I'm in Tyler and work in Shreveport once a week. Are you a controller at SHV? I think I have more landings there and downtown than anywhere but TYR.
Good choice on the PuP, the wings will come in time.

Hey David, I'm in Tyler and work in Shreveport once a week. Are you a controller at SHV? I think I have more landings there and downtown than anywhere but TYR.
Good choice on the PuP, the wings will come in time.

Yes. I've been a controller at SHV for 17 years. We staff the SHV tower and the approach control located on Barksdale AFB. DTN is a contract tower. Thanks to all for the well wishes on my dog. What airplane do you normally fly into SHV? I'll probably recognize the tail number.

Would have done the same...

but my wife would have MADE me... LOL

Seriously, hope the pup recovers soon. Same thing happened to my sister's dachshund.

Same

Without a doubt I would have made the same decision. We lost my dog a year ago after a 5 year course of Chemotherapy. My wife is a vet and tries to do the best for every animal...you wouldn't believe how many people in our area don't think the same way and just want the cheapest way out "family" be damned. These little guys ARE our family and they come first every time.

Thanks again for everyone's concern over Belle. She had her surgery Wednesday but is not progressing very fast. She is still paralyzed. I'm driving to Dallas tomorrow to visit her. From what I understand, Van's will accept a 25% deposit to process the wing kit order. I may go this route and come up with the rest of it in 8 weeks when it's ready to ship.

Good luck with the priority! The little buddy! From one controller to another, I wish your pup the best. I also hope you get your wings soon!

do6j2h.jpg

Belle is home from her surgery and recovering slowly. The vet bill? $3274.27. Almost the cost of one wing! No regrets, she's family. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

David,

I walked this path too with my little guy. We've been through a lot together and when his back went out he was paralyzed on his back half. I'm sure yours experienced the same thing.

We put things on hold and had to go for the surgery too. He's operating at 99% of his original capacity and we try to regulate his activity as much as we can now. At the first sign of back trouble we get him in the crate for a few days.

If we had it to do again, we'd make the same choice.

Phil

29101_1364956097867_1650597149_914122_5127733_n.jpg

Good to hear

Our dogs are like our kids, that makes them family and I take care of my family.

Wow

David,
I don't know about this one.....
I think I'd be getting the shop ready for the wings:eek:

You can pick up a new dog just out of Phase 1 for about $250:D

I hope to see you and Belle at a fly-in soon!
Just don't tell her what I said.

Mark

The little red weiner dog laying on the couch beside me agrees that you did the right thing. It's scary when your little buddy can't wag his little tail. No surgery for ours yet, just drugs and rest, but if he needed the surgery I would sell the wings I have already built without a second thought.
I hope Belle gets well soon.

Last edited:
RUGS Needed

Its not uncommon,my Doxie went through this last year,crate/drugs/and above all no jumping brought him around.The doc was quick to point out doxies need rugs for traction,very important at the bottom and top of stairs,keep the weight off if you can.I used unbuilt cardboard box's in front of the sofa etc.Three years ago I paid for a goal balder operation,part of the reason I am not done with the plane. Little dog a lot of Love,worth every penny.Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Bob

My wife and I had to read this thread several times! Our Charlie had this surgery in 06'. He will turn 15 years old in February. It took him about a week to recover but it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Grezdlitn (RV-8) is my toy but my two Dachsunds are my best friends! I guess you can tell where my heart is.:)

From what I understand, Van's will accept a 25% deposit to process the wing kit order. I may go this route and come up with the rest of it in 8 weeks when it's ready to ship.

Thats what I did...worked fine in the end. This won't be the last time life gets in the way of your build but if you stay dedicated...you will finish it. Planes are planes...family is family. Glad to see your priorities are in order.

Belle

dxnyw0.jpg

It's been 1 week since Belle's surgery. Her recovery has been painfully slow. She is still mostly paralyzed. I have to express her bladder 4 times a day. Her muscle tone is starting to return and she can stand for a few seconds with help. It's so difficult to see her like this. She has always been a bundle of energy. Her surgeon still gives her a really good chance of walking again. I never dreamed we would ever have to care for a disabled dog, but as I said before, she's family and we love her very much. Thanks again for everyone's kind words and well wishes. It means a lot to us. Hopefully Uncle Sam will be generous come tax time and I can get the wings on order!

Thanks, David

heated pool therapy

Hi David, A Physical Theraptist friend of mine told me that once your pup's incision has healed, no drainage.... try heated pool therapy so she will move her legs... with your help of course holding her and a personel float device. No sink or swim attitude. Small amounts of time each time and build up slowly.... since she's so little the bathtub might work just fine.....warm water....also massages and keep the scar tissue from forming. PS.... please send prayers my way for one of my pups (Bear).... 8 yr old mixed rescue, just diagnosed with lymphoma..We've had him since 4 months old.
Thanks, Rebecca

Major bummer for you and your little buddy! You did the right thing!

Our seven year-old English Bulldog has had five knee operations. (We got him as a rescue when he was a puppy dying of parvo.) This the most expensive free dog in the history of Veterinary medicine.

He is limping again and my vet (who also happens to be my wife) said that if he blows out a knee again we are going to have to put him down.

Annie the wonder dog

This is my Annie, she was a rescue dog that we took care of for 7 or 8 months until we found her a new home. She was stepped on by a bigger dog and her back was broken. The owner wanted her put to sleep but I would not let them so we took her in. Even though she could not walk she still lives a normal life. If I didn't already have four wieners I would have keep her. She is one amazing dog. Annie the wonder dog.

annie.jpg

Back