What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto for RV-7

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am close to ordering a 3-blade Catto prop for my RV7 build. The engine is IO-360-M1B with mags and standard cowl. Catto says the 66" x 76" is the standard prop for RV7 w/ 180 HP and can be pitched to lean toward cruise or climb if desired.

Does anyone have a 7 that is stock with the 3-blade Catto that can comment on pitch? My field elevation is 1700'; runway is 5500'.

Thanks

Here is the information from my prop tag for my -7A. Installation details are in my signature.

Cruise is 155-160KTAS at 9.5-11.5', 2500-2600 RPM, 7.5-8.2 GPH (higher alt = lower burn). Home field elevation is 40'.

Glass/2XCarbon Composite 3-B #09165272
Diameter:68” Pitch:75” NLE RV-7A
Engn :I0-360 180HP Dsgn RPM 2750
Red Line RPM max. 3200
Torque: 40 ft lbs. 7” Crush Plate Required
Manufacture Date: October 2016

Last edited:
Catto Cruise Prop

I own an RV7a. Built by someone else. It has a Catto 3-blade Cruise pitch prop. Sam James Cowl. I keep it on an uncharted grass strip in TN. Flatish,useable is about 1150 ft. 900 Ft. Elevation. It performs very well. On very hot, hi DA days I do not go out at max gross weight. Rain and bugs are hard on the paint. I might eventually get one with the nickel leading edge. You can take off and land a few times on the same pass on your runway....

My -7 has a TMXIO-360 with a 3 blade Catto dia. = 68", pitch = 73", with nickel leading edge.

At 8500' I typically see about 185 mph at ~65% hp, 22" mp, and 7.5 gph.

If you are serious about Catto, ask them about their carbon fiber spinner which is pretty cool

Warren
N671CW
Plymouth, MN

Issues with Catto

Just FYI be VERY clear with Nicole Catto about the bolt sizes for your prop when placing your order. Confirm them multiple times. I even sent her a picture of my bolts in calipers when ordering indicating that they were 7/16". The holes in the prop ended up being 3/8" anyway. Now they want me to open up the holes from 3/8" to 7/16" on a drill press on my own. :( I'm not to keen on machining my new $4200 propeller fresh out of the box. So needless to say, the plane is still down and the prop is still on the floor waiting on a solution.

I unfortunately have to agree with the above comment on being absolutely clear with Nicole and confirm things multiple times. She was very pleasant to deal with, but the prop was almost built for the wrong engine (200hp vs 180, resulting in different pitch). I also really wanted it pitched for max cruise and she made it seem like there was only one ?standard? pitch for my application.

Either way the prop is beautiful and a pleasure to fly behind. It does about 175mph TAS @ ~8500, 2400rpm/7.5gph

24yy3hw.jpg

I unfortunately have to agree with the above comment on being absolutely clear with Nicole and confirm things multiple times. She was very pleasant to deal with, but the prop was almost built for the wrong engine (200hp vs 180, resulting in different pitch). I also really wanted it pitched for max cruise and she made it seem like there was only one ?standard? pitch for my application.

Either way the prop is beautiful and a pleasure to fly behind. It does about 175mph TAS @ ~8500, 2400rpm/7.5gph

24yy3hw.jpg

And what is the pitch and diameter of your prop gotime242

24yy3hw.jpg

Hey Dylan,

That?s a really pretty airplane you have there!! I was noticing your spinner doesn?t have any front bulkhead screws. Can you tell me how it?s secured?

Thanks,
Mark

After I posted my reply I saw that Ray's RV-7 has a front bulkhead on his Catto.
Also noticed the Carbon spinner on that same thread did not.
My spinner came from Catto and did not.
I noticed Ray's was a SJ cowl and maybe a SJ spinner.
I believe the stock Van's spinner is without.
So, some maybe do and some maybe don't.

Edit: I now notice that the Van's shows a front bulkhead. ??????????

Last edited:
After I posted my reply I saw that Ray's RV-7 has a front bulkhead on his Catto.

The front bulkhead needs to be there. You can get by without screws in the front bulkhead if you make sure that the fit of the front bulkhead is very tight.

Yeah, like I said, the three blade Catto on my -4 has a front and rear and my buddy's -7 with a two blade prop and a standard Vans spinner also has two bulkheads. I'm beginning to wonder if it's due to the strength and lightweight nature of the carbon fiber spinner that it doesn't need that front bulkhead for support??

Mark

The front bulkhead needs to be there. You can get by without screws in the front bulkhead if you make sure that the fit of the front bulkhead is very tight.

Thanks Mel. That may be what's happening here and why there's no screws showing on that carbon fiber spinner. The C.F. spinner that I received from Catto only has holes drilled for mounting the spinner to the rear bulkhead. When I was looking at it I was thinking how difficult it was going to be to get the front bulkhead screws lined up and holes drilled without messing up my new carbon fiber spinner. On top of that, when I have everything stacked up on the workbench...bulkheads, prop, and crush plates...my spinner doesn't "nest" with the front bulkhead...there's a little gap. So maybe I can attach some material...maybe some felt cloth, to the front bulkhead to build its radius out a little bit so that when the spinner goes on it will fit nice and snug.

Mark

when I have everything stacked up on the workbench...bulkheads, prop, and crush plates...my spinner doesn't "nest" with the front bulkhead...there's a little gap. So maybe I can attach some material...maybe some felt cloth, to the front bulkhead to build its radius out a little bit so that when the spinner goes on it will fit nice and snug.
Mark

I use a build up of duct tape. You can build up as necessary and it provides a good cushion. You may need to replace the duct tape occasionally.

I think Catto has made more than one version of his carbon fiber spinner.

My carbon fiber spinner has two bulkheads:

* An aluminum aft bulkhead; the spinner is attached to this bulkhead with external screws.

* An internal CF forward bulkhead that is molded inside the spinner (invisible from outside); this bulkhead has a machined tapered cylindrical flange that fits snuggly inside the bore of the prop; there are no external screws.

Seems to work fine, and results in a nice clean look.

See
AF1QipMFBWYUeFoXVygsjeVUU64qmueCaZmEhx-kpsSX

Hey Dylan,

That’s a really pretty airplane you have there!! I was noticing your spinner doesn’t have any front bulkhead screws. Can you tell me how it’s secured?

Thanks,
Mark

* An internal CF forward bulkhead that is molded inside the spinner (invisible from outside); this bulkhead has a machined tapered cylindrical flange that fits snuggly inside the bore of the prop; there are no external screws.

Thanks! This is what mine has. Seems to work well.

And what is the pitch and diameter of your prop gotime242

Also to answer, this is the pitch info:

2vk1c1w.jpg

Last edited:
Back