What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

License Required for APRS

VHS

Well Known Member
Gentlemen,

Byonics has recently had a number of people order pre-programmed trackers with November numbers only as call signs, so this is just a little reminder that you must have an FCC Amateur Radio License to operate these. We have no problems shipping un-programmed transmitters to pilots who have not yet earned their licenses, but this is with the understanding that you will get the license before operation. FYI, I know for a fact that there are people out there looking at users using tactical (tail number) call signs that don't have a ham license, and they will unleash the mighty wrath of the FCC on you on general principals.

Thanks for listening to my legal disclaimer!

Allen
VHS

Gentlemen,

Byonics has recently had a number of people order pre-programmed trackers with November numbers only as call signs, so this is just a little reminder that you must have an FCC Amateur Radio License to operate these. We have no problems shipping un-programmed transmitters to pilots who have not yet earned their licenses, but this is with the understanding that you will get the license before operation. FYI, I know for a fact that there are people out there looking at users using tactical (tail number) call signs that don't have a ham license, and they will unleash the mighty wrath of the FCC on you on general principals.

Thanks for listening to my legal disclaimer!

Allen
VHS

Thanks for the reminder, Allen.

There have been a few remarks about aviation trackers being abusive to the aprs net, a claim I consider dubious, but.......

Operating an aprs tracker without a ham license is a blatant abuse of the system....completely indefensible!

We don't fly without a certificate......don't track without a license.

[P.S. License reminder added to APRS forum stickies]

Last edited:
License free APRS

Sam, et al.,

I have been working on a way to do "license free" APRS for a while now. This has largely been due to Search and Rescue Groups being Government Agencies and not being able to use ham radio. The system I am working on is on 900 MHZ, and so it could be used by Hams and by non-Hams too. The 900 MHZ band would be awesome for aircraft, and there is no reason that even as a license free system we can't put positions on Aprs.fi or Openaprs.net. I would have to get the units Part 15 approval to sell them to non-hams, so the system is still a ways out.

By the way, is there is anyone in the Napa, CA area who would be wiling to fly-test my transmitter for an air-to-ground range test? License free means keeping the power at one Watt or less, so I am interested in seeing the useful range as an airborne transmitter.

Allen
VHS

Allen,

If you don't get any more local takers, I could pop over the mountains from Reno one day and help you out. PM me if you would like to do this. I'm booked tomorrow but possibly free Sunday or next weekend.

greg

RE:Take the test

I just finished studying for and taking the test. First, it was a great information/learning experience. Second, it was not time consuming to complete the study process.......(not bad for an MBA/Chemistry School Teacher). Third the test was pretty easy ( I got 34 out of 35 and I still think the folks didn't want to give me a 100% so they miss marked one.........JUST KIDDING). Fourth, by studying for, taking the test, buying/preparing the equipment, and installing the equipment I have filled the intent of our fun hobby ......... Education ...... not to mention the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to help the economy (oh no political alert):eek:.

Alan, thanks for considering the no Lic. possibility. For some this maybe makes sense.

However this falls out I am glad I have been introduced to the great folks in the Ham Radio World, learned some new information, took the test, have some equipment that may add some more safety to my flying, and last but not least the possibility of adding another interesting hobby to my old aged world!!!!!!:D

I did note that out west we are sparse in Hams in general and digies in particular....????

Frank @ 1L8 ..RV7A.. Flying soon to be tracking

I too followed the rules and took the appropriate test. Studying was not that hard and they forgot to catch my wrong answers and I got 100%.

I am just waiting for the KW unit to make up for sparse coverage in the west. :)

License free APRS

The experiment in 900 MHZ digital Spread Spectrum APRS was a bit disappointing, with air to ground ranges of about 7 miles, and less then a mile ground-to-ground. The rubber duck in the metal cockpit may have contributed to the short range, so I plant to remote the antenna to a suction cup mount on the canopy and try again. The license free thing may be a dead end, but at least I am giving it a try.

Allen
VHS

Please keep trying ...

The experiment in 900 MHZ digital Spread Spectrum APRS was a bit disappointing, with air to ground ranges of about 7 miles, and less then a mile ground-to-ground. The rubber duck in the metal cockpit may have contributed to the short range, so I plant to remote the antenna to a suction cup mount on the canopy and try again. The license free thing may be a dead end, but at least I am giving it a try.

Allen
VHS

Thanks Allen, for your efforts on this.

I was discussing this with a friend who runs an aircraft race.

It would be really nice if "the race" could buy a batch of "no license required" trackers and put them in the planes that race. Would have to plant the special receivers along the race path of course. For the race in question there are airports close enough to the course that a 15 nm range would work.

The FRS stuff would not work, I assume and the GMRS (which some claim over 20 miles (!!!)) I think require a license even though most people with those "walkie talkies" probably have not considered such.

James

Back