What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS saturation at Oshokosh?

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Some interesting earlier threads and web pages on setting parameters for the APRS. I am presently trying WIDE2-1 with 60 sec. transmissions, and it seems to be working fine in my area.

There was some discussion about how the aprs system could choke up in densely populated areas. I am planning to fly to Oshkosh, and am wondering how busy the packet frequency will be with the heavy arrival rate of planes. There must be a good portion of them with aprs on-board now (at least for the RVs).

Is anyone planning to monitor the aprs traffic in and around Oshkosh (say using aprs.fi) during Oshkosh peak arrival and departure time? We could then have a subjective report on how well the tracks are being recorded and forwarded through the network. I am really curious to see the effects of aprs congestion.

Anyone?

Some interesting earlier threads and web pages on setting parameters for the APRS. I am presently trying WIDE2-1 with 60 sec. transmissions, and it seems to be working fine in my area.

There was some discussion about how the aprs system could choke up in densely populated areas. I am planning to fly to Oshkosh, and am wondering how busy the packet frequency will be with the heavy arrival rate of planes. There must be a good portion of them with aprs on-board now (at least for the RVs).

Is anyone planning to monitor the aprs traffic in and around Oshkosh (say using aprs.fi) during Oshkosh peak arrival and departure time? We could then have a subjective report on how well the tracks are being recorded and forwarded through the network. I am really curious to see the effects of aprs congestion.

Anyone?

Have watched OSH aprs traffic for the past couple of years and there is no problem with frequency congestion.

Enjoy the show!

I know my Ma' will be watching :). Last year she watched the track while we taxied all the way around the north, west, south side of runway 27... I'm not planning on repeating that ground track again this year. If APRS was loaded, it sure didn't complain with any dropped packets.

Yep - I'm APRSing in. I've listened (by ear) to the APRS traffic over SF (lots of ham geeks with cars etc...) - and even that isn't that crowded. I bet a bunch of (lowish) planes on the way to OSH should work great.

Back