What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 18-02-02 Potential cracking in the horizontal stabilator front spar

Doug
Can you describe or explain your " washer wrench"?

Cleaveland Aircraft Tool $37

1-washer-wrench.jpg

Last edited:
I have had some success putting a magnet on the bolt head after partial insertion and getting the washer to stay put on the bolt shank. This job needs all the tricks!

I installed the stabilator today. After glueing the washers with super glue I embedded the washers with epoxy. No problem with knocking off the washers. Still took some time to insert the bolts.

I did not want the HS-01231C on top of the skin of the Stabilator.
I am doing a vinyl wrap and I have all CS4-X Rivets to keep the vinyl as flat as possible.

This is not a recommendation

Also this is not a cracked Spar repair.

SB_180202_01_16.jpg

See More

http://joesrv12.com/Builder Log/SB_18_02_02_01.htm

Joe Dallas

The full sized doubler was not designed specifically to a repair stabilators that were found to have cracks.
It was specifically designed based on doing an FEA (finite element analysis using a computer model), and analyzing the loads seen in the hinge joint / fwd spar.

My recommendation to other builders is that they install the parts as designed.
There will be no problem applying vinyl over the doubler (if that is your plan) after some experience is gained working with the wrap material.

My View

Scott
I made it perfectly clear that this is not a recommendation.

We have different views on what a patch looks like.

I can install vinyl over LP4 Rivets and with a lot of finger time they look ok.

I think it looks better over CS4 Rivets.

And Vinyl over a Patch Still Looks Like A Patch in my view.

We also designed a lot of things before Computers were invented.

I sure if you ran a computer analysis on my design it would stack up pretty well with Van's and a lot better than Vans original design, and with only few problems worked pretty well.

However that is not the point, I am building EAB so I can have the Aircraft I want not a standard RV12 which is a well built Aircraft.

It is a good thing that Van used his own ideas to built all the great Aircraft in his line.

Thanks for your View

The full sized doubler was not designed specifically to a repair stabilators that were found to have cracks.
It was specifically designed based on doing an FEA (finite element analysis using a computer model), and analyzing the loads seen in the hinge joint / fwd spar.

My recommendation to other builders is that they install the parts as designed.
There will be no problem applying vinyl over the doubler (if that is your plan) after some experience is gained working with the wrap material.

Not a patch. Patches are for bicycle tires. Aircraft don't do "patches". Correct term is doubler. Look at the bottom of your fuselage and you will see a number of doubler plates in high stress locations. Doublers are used to distribute load safely into the surrounding skin...

This is Silly

http://hhh.gavilan.edu/hspenner/iLe...ural Repair/AircraftMetalStructuralRepair.pdf

See page 140

The doubler is not a patch there in no damage under it.

It is just a term

My View It is a Patch

Not a patch. Patches are for bicycle tires. Aircraft don't do "patches". Correct term is doubler. Look at the bottom of your fuselage and you will see a number of doubler plates in high stress locations. Doublers are used to distribute load safely into the surrounding skin...

Last edited:
I doubt if I'd do a "wikiHow" even (with pictures) for aircraft repair, but maybe some people would...

Back