What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Music Input Jack

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Hey, I'm a complete ludite when it comes to auxiliary music input. What is the current favorite for a music input jack? Plain old 1/8" (aka 3.5mm), or has something else become the norm?

I believe that is still the standard if you don't have Blue Tooth compatible headsets.
Most newer players also no longer have hard audio outs due to the prevalence of wireless.

Hey, I'm a complete ludite when it comes to auxiliary music input. What is the current favorite for a music input jack? Plain old 1/8" (aka 3.5mm), or has something else become the norm?

I put a 3.5mm jack on the right gear tower location near the top that goes to my GTR200 music input. I like having it vs the headsets as you get the same music to both pilot and passenger. If the kids want their own we use the headset bluetooth connection.

about a year ago I added this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013QJ0W8Q

It just plugs into my 3.5mm jack and gives me bluetooth streaming music from my phone in my pocket. Just have to remember to charge it now and then.

Definitely 3.5mm remains king of the hill for connection to an external audio source.

That having been said, don't overlook the opportunity to use Bluetooth, particularly if you have a good audio panel. I recently upgraded my PS Engineering audio panel from a non-Bluetooth panel to one that supports Bluetooth. The integration with my cell phone is seamless.

The real advantage to using either a hard-wired audio input jack or Bluetooth to an audio panel is that you get to take advantage of the various muting modes provided by the audio panel.

Removed PS Engineering PMA8000 and installed their PDA360EX. Total plug-and-play conversion with zero mechanical or wiring changes.

I was hesitant to go to the PDA360EX since the PMA8000 is really the flagship of the PS Engineering line. So far it's pretty clear to me that my hesitation was completely unfounded. Love the PDA360EX. Really can't say enough good things about the "IntelliAudio" that makes COMM 1 appear to be coming from the right side of the airplane while COMM 2 appears to come from the left side. Being able to handle cell phone calls seamlessly is nice, too. (I really was on the fence on this feature, until the first call while airborne put an end to being on the fence and put me squarely in "I like" territory.)

I have a question. I had Advanced flight Systems build me a quick build panel. It came with the PS Engineering audio panel which has Bluetooth but it also has a hard wired 3MM audio input jack. I am considering removing the audio jack. Any reason to install it when I have a good Bluetooth Devise built into the panel?

It's a cheap, simple, reliable backup to the Bluetooth, as well as an alternative in case you someday have to use a non-Bluetooth device (such as a handheld radio).

^^^

That's what I was thinking, great place to plug in a handheld if you lose your panel radio(s).

It's a cheap, simple, reliable backup to the Bluetooth, as well as an alternative in case you someday have to use a non-Bluetooth device (such as a handheld radio).

Also handy to have in case you ever need to troubleshoot audio problems.

Bluetooth audio & cell phone

I purchased two of these from Amazon and hard wired them both into my RV-4 and Bearhawk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016PP2YFC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see they are discontinued but I'm sure there is a newer / replacement if you search. I just wired the output to the music input on intercom. In addition to automatically connecting to my phone for music or podcasts - it also supports connection to the cell phone. I had to do a simple isolator resistor and tie into the mic but it enables me to make cell calls through my headset. (On the ground of course).

Thanks for the quick response. I never thought of these points. I was hesitant to drill into that beautiful power coated and silk screened panel. But have elected to do so.

Great group and an excellent resource for information.

Isolation washer

Also be sure to use an isolation washer on it. The ones that both ACS and Stein sell have a lip on the plastic part of the unit so that it mimics a step washer like we use on mic jacks. You can get a simple fiber washer at Home Depot for the forward side under the nut.

Back