What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice on building

joe1968

Well Known Member
I?m thinking about starting a RV-7 build and I?m trying to plan on time frames. I?m hoping you guys can give me average build times on the empennage, wings and fuselage. Hoping to figure out budget for money and time so I can keep the build progressing smoothly. Thanks for the help

Blog

I’m thinking about starting a RV-7 build and I’m trying to plan on time frames. I’m hoping you guys can give me average build times on the empennage, wings and fuselage. Hoping to figure out budget for money and time so I can keep the build progressing smoothly. Thanks for the help

I'm on the slow side. Lots of hours documented because I log every minute in the shop and I'm a bit OCD. Good number to see the high extreme. Figure 1/2 my numbers if you build fast and don't prime.
As for financials, shoot me an e-mail and I can share mine. Also, check my blog for a basic builder log that should help you including a full 7(a) inventory. See signature below for blog and e-mail links.
Build on
LL

Thanks

Your blog is great I appreciate your response I?m talking with wife if you don?t mind i will email you and we can chat i really appreciate it

Joe

I think you'll have a hard time finding a meaningful "average" because so many different things affect build time. But as a data point, I built my 9A slow build in 3.5 years, working 15-20 hours per week generally speaking. This was only possible because of my schedule (fire department) and not having kids. If you have less free time or more commitments, plan longer. I also feel like I could build my 2nd RV about 20% faster with what I have learned.

Whatever you budget in time and money, add 50% to it, and you will be close.

Chris

Back