Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 09:11 PM

Default What is the end goal of a build?

I am working away, making rather fast progress on my RV-14 kit. Days go by as I build, and I feel on top of the world. Other days, I feel completely incapable.

I am learning so much about myself through this build. One of the things that has really hit home and become apparent is that I am a perfectionist. Except I have never built an airplane before, and I am doing a far from perfect job with my build. I am not capable of doing a perfect build. Is there even such a thing I find myself wondering? I am building an airplane that’s going to be safe and certainly won’t fall out of the sky, but I don’t think that I will ever have a showpiece on my hands.

Some days, I am pretty down on myself, wondering if I am really cut out to be doing my own build. But I want it. I want it more than anything. This build for me is more about learning some life lessons, having some fun (it is hard sometimes), and in the end, having something that I can be proud of to fly around.

As I find myself missing the PERFECT mark, I wonder what’s out there? When it comes time to sell what will eventually be my airplane, do people expect perfection? Is an airplane that’s “safe” what people want? Or am I building something that nobody will want, despite it being safe, yet not perfect? Truly, what’s the end goal of a build .. an airplane that is perfect, or just an airplane that is safe?

I doubt I am alone in how I feel. I suspect many builders have been right here before. I’d enjoy hearing your thoughts on anything that I’ve brought up.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Default Perfection...

There is NO such thing as a perfect airplane or a perfect build...

Build to the best of your ability and be proud of the result...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
There is NO such thing as a perfect airplane or a perfect build...

Build to the best of your ability and be proud of the result...
Thank you.
I realize also, I am fearful that as I eventually fly my airplane to events (Oshkosh! Local EAA Chapter, etc.) I donít want to be embarrassed if any of my imperfections show. But as I read what you wrote, I realize that there is no reason to be embarrassed. Every airplane is going to have imperfections. And if I am able to fly there safely at all, really, Iíve accomplished the goal that I set out to do.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Every homebuilt has little flaws. I laughed at an RV the other day because I looked at his fiberglass wingtips and said "well he made the same mistake I did". Its all part of the fun. I dont see myself selling my airplane though. The only way I would is if it was just to fund another one.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 PM

I wrote on the plastic covering of one of the skins on my "Perfection is not possible, but by striving for perfection one can achieve excellence." Many years later I had to use a heat gun and sharpened pieces of canopy trimmings to scrape it off. That old white plastic was a pain! My airplane is by no means perfect and I like it a lot!

Ed Holyoke
Old 11-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Fourteen years later, i'm still flying my imperfect RV7. What the build process taught me was patience and tenacity. When I decided to build my airplane I had many people tell me that building an airplane in my garage was not possible and would surely lead to my demise. I can be stubborn, that was all the insentive I needed. Yes, there where many ups and downs, but I learned a lot and am still learning how to maintain this wonderful aircraft.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 PM

Default RV buyer, not a builder

Interesting thoughts about your building process. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and dilemma.

I purchased my -6A in 2011. I wanted a safe airplane that was well built. Iíve been averaging 100 hours of flying a year. Like that purchase, if I buy another RV Iíll be shopping for a plane that isnít a showplane. Likely a showplane builder will look for a premium price, and my goal is flying as much as possible, not having a perfect appearance.

Do we only look for beauty in our spouse? Home? Car? Or do we also consider functions, skills, performance?

Iíve flown my plane into Osh in 2018 and 2019. There are bugs on the leading edges and the paint has chips. There are beautiful planes parked nearby and maybe they fly 100+ hours a year, or maybe they fly to Osh and live in a climate controlled hanger with someone regularly polishing them. Itís all good!

Weíre all enjoying what we want from the airplane(s). I donít take any satisfaction in completing mechanical work on my plane. My satisfaction is from safely completing flights, good decisions, solving the challenges, new flying adventures, new airports, new people....

Carl
Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 PM

I started my build with perfection in mind, somewhere just after the tail kit morphed into the wing kit I had to compromise. I aimed for 110% and ended up better than average and Iím OK with that. Look at my airplane and youíll know which wing I built first. It truly is the journey that makes it more than just an airplane.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:14 PM

Default A pertinent Bill Shook quote:

"You can build an airplane or you can build a shrine to your airplane building ability. One of those flies, the other burns you out."

/ mic drop /

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 11-09-2019, 01:58 AM

Wink Attaining perfection

It is said that in some cultures, the master craftsmen and artists believe that only the gods can achieve perfection. So the craftsmen make deliberate mistakes in their work, in order to respect the gods.

Now, don't go putting a deliberate nick in that propeller!

Seriously, I don't think anyone should expect a first build to be perfect. Heck, just finishing and getting it flying is enough of an achievement. It's only on the second, or even third build that you're expected to achieve perfection.
O-320 FP
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build