VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 AM

Default Earl and Hal's RV-14

I ordered an RV-14 kit in Oshkosh, and I while nervously await the arrival, I began asking myself just how the heck I was going to build this thing, given my fairly limited experience building anything. I am a retired engineer, so bookwork wise, I get it, but putting it into practice, I doubted myself.

By a stroke of luck, I was introduced to a retired corporate jet director of maintenance who just purchased a home in my community. Well, Hal has always wanted to build an airplane, but couldn't outlay the money. Me? I can outlay the money but I am not sure I can build it. Haha. So we have formed a strategic partnership, in exchange for 25% equity in the kit, Hal will guide me through the build, using his 40+ years of airplane maintenance experience.

Our first kit should be shipping any day now, and we hope to have the airplane flying by Sept 1 2021. We each can devote at least 40 hours per week into this, so if we can stay on track and I don't louse up the project too badly, with a bit of luck in two years, I'll be posting our first flight info!

Stay tuned to follow along a hopeless builders adventure towards having something that flies within about two years! Oh, and wish us luck.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Well, that is a fortuitous meeting for both of you! Good Luck and God's speed!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM

Congratulations!

As a guy who came from the world of certificated aircraft maintenance I will suggest that Hal may need some re-education. In the certified world you are maintaining an existing aircraft, the design of which is cast in stone, documented in maintenance manuals and parts catalogs.

It's a MAJOR paradigm shift to move to BUILDING an airplane rather than maintaining one that's already built. It's also a major shift to have to figure out how to build the airplane, how to configure it, how to provision it for all the little bits and pieces that will have to be installed.

You no doubt have chosen the right airplane for this pairing, given the high degree of preparedness that exists in the RV14 kit. Still, you will have to convince Hal to accept that a homebuilt airplane is not a corporate jet. Failure to do so will likely yield an over-built, over-weight airplane. Don't hesitate to reach out to those in your area who have RV experience as they are a valuable resource.

Best of luck in your build - it's at first a formidable task, one that ultimately yields supremely rewarding results.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 AM

40 hours a week of build time?! I'm so jealous! I'll be happy when I squeeze out 8.

You're going to have a blast. The 14 goes together seamlessly. A monkey in a diaper (meaning me) can put one together.
RV-14 #140394
Empennage - done(ish)
Wings - done(ish)
Fuselage - Somewhere in Ch. 32 - 36
YouTube Build Channel
Old 10-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Hal and I have been hard at work on our RV-14. We ordered the fuselage kit some time back, and as of today, according to our build log we have 243 man hours into the build.

Everything is going smoothly, I am learning a ton, and based on our current pace, if we can get the kits, engine, avionics, and interior when needed, I think we have a good shot at getting the kit done in about 14 months, start to finish. This will put us nearly a year ahead of schedule. Keep in mind we are doing between 60 and 80 man hours per week. This may slow a bit, but we are scooting right along.

Starting this project, I was extremely apprehensive. It was all for nothing. If you’re debating doing a build, JUST DO IT.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 PM

Best of luck! wondering if you are putting together a quick build or standard?

Jim
Vancouver, Washington
ATP, CFI/II/MEI
Old 10-05-2019, 03:34 PM

It CAN be done in 14 months, that was the build time on my -7. If you can swing it a quick build panel will really speed things up. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Best of luck!
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 250+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 PM

As of this evening, we have 525 man hours into our project. I continue to learn a bunch working alongside Hal. I am in need of a short break, so I am going to take all of next week off, away from the airplane, and just clear my head.

Building an airplane, and learning as I go, causes a tremendous amount of fatigue at times, and even inner stress. Messing things up causes me to doubt myself. I realize that I have an awful lot of “I can’t” in my head. As soon as I see something that confuses me, my mind goes to “I can’t do this.” I step away and clear my head, and find that with care and help, I CAN do this.

I never knew how much I would learn about myself by building this airplane. I figure we’re only about 1/4 of the way done, so the learning is really only beginning.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Just like dieting, there will come a point in the build where you plateau and it seems like no matter how much you do, nothing is happening. That point in my build came after all the major components were done and it was time to do the wiring and fiberglass work.
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by acam37 View Post
Just like dieting, there will come a point in the build where you plateau and it seems like no matter how much you do, nothing is happening. That point in my build came after all the major components were done and it was time to do the wiring and fiberglass work.
Absolutely correct.

The impact of seeing a completed component like a rudder, wing, etc is very motivating to say the least.

Now, if I could just get over the diet plateau.......

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."