What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-ring sizes for Van's fuel valve?

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hi VAF,

Anybody know the two o-ring sizes for the newer "delrin cone" Vans fuel valve? Would like to order those pre-disassembly.

Thanks for the help!

For future reference, it appears the "newer style" Van's fuel valve has two o-rings. The one I looked at appeared to use a size 011 on the shaft seal and a 018 on the housing seal.

Fuel selector valve service ? help needed

For future reference, it appears the "newer style" Van's fuel valve has two o-rings. The one I looked at appeared to use a size 011 on the shaft seal and a 018 on the housing seal.

Very timely as I am disassembling the stock (4-port) valve in my RV6 to address a small leak at the stem and increasingly stiff operation. New o-rings are planned.

I don?t know that I have it fully apart yet, but so far have only found one small o-ring at the top of the shaft, just below the large nut below the handle. I assume this one is the 011.

Below the handle and large nut I have removed a washer, a spring, washer like ring at the bottom of the spring, and a larger disc. The now bare shaft is still in place and I haven?t found a second o-ring. I assume I have more disassembly to go ...

Any help to remove the shaft appreciated ...

Thanks,
Peter

Peter,

On the valve I looked at, the second o-ring just forms a static seal between the top and bottom of the housing.

Hope that helps.

Peter,

On the valve I looked at, the second o-ring just forms a static seal between the top and bottom of the housing.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, it looks like the inside of the housing, below the cap nut is shaped to hold an o-ring (roughly 3/4? in diameter) but my valve just had (a substantial quantity) of fuel resistant grease there.

Anybody have pictures of the inside of the 4 port valve ?

Thanks for any pointers.

Very timely as I am disassembling the stock (4-port) valve in my RV6 to address a small leak at the stem and increasingly stiff operation. New o-rings are planned.

I don?t know that I have it fully apart yet, but so far have only found one small o-ring at the top of the shaft, just below the large nut below the handle. I assume this one is the 011.

Below the handle and large nut I have removed a washer, a spring, washer like ring at the bottom of the spring, and a larger disc. The now bare shaft is still in place and I haven?t found a second o-ring. I assume I have more disassembly to go ...

Any help to remove the shaft appreciated ...

Thanks,
Peter

Place the handle back on the shaft and replace the screw hand tight.

Now grab the handle and pull up the shaft along with the cone.

There is an o ring on the shaft as it passes through the nut. And a second one that seals the nut to the body.

Place the handle back on the shaft and replace the screw hand tight.

Now grab the handle and pull up the shaft along with the cone.

There is an o ring on the shaft as it passes through the nut. And a second one that seals the nut to the body.

Very helpful, thanks. I?ll take the next step to remove the shaft and cone. The o-ring on the shaft as it passes thru the nut has been recovered. The second is not in evidence ?- perhaps that?s why it was leaking. :)

Peter

Update

With pointers above I was able to remove the shaft and cone. After some on-line research it’s clear I have this valve:

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3660&d=1332166782

Which apparently is not the same as the stock valve provided by Vans in the kits.
As the drawing shows, my valve has only one o-ring (size 011 for anyone who may need to know).

All back together with a new Viton o-ring and a little fuel lube and all is well.

Thanks for the assistance. Great community we have.

Peter

Back