VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Default Elevator Stiffener Oops Question

While match drilling the aft undrilled hole on a center stiffener I elongated it in one direction significantly. I re-drilled it up to #33 for use with a 7/64 (half-size) oops rivet. Two questions:

1) because this is the last hole on the stiffener and not supported by a standard 3/32 rivet is use of an oops rivet suitable or should I drill it up to 1/8 for a -4 rivet even through this will not be aesthetically the best option?

2) If I use a -4 rivet will the shop heads of the two stiffeners touch since this is right at the bend in the trailing edge?

Thanks

See photos on my site:
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojen...ss2xx&listcat=
Old 11-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Proseal the stiffeners to the skin and never look back...

I did this to all of mine and the structure is rock solid. Good way to get your "feet wet" with the proseal (flamemaster... whatever) before you're mucking around inside of a tank.
RV-7

VA-165 '90-'93
Old 11-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Pro Seal

So you prosealed the bottom of every stiffener? Can I use a 30 minute epoxy? what about prep over primer. Will wiping it with a solvent effect the dried primer? I may do this on the tip of that one stiffener to help take stress off that oops rivet.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:56 PM

I would use the oops rivet and call it good.

No need to mess with pro seal just for this. The prep to the surface you would need to do for proseal would be a much more work than just using the oops rivet. If you're worried about the shop heads touching...just over buck both of them a tad. DO NOT use epoxy.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Donated for 2019 and so should you
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Try presqueezing a 3 to fill the hole you made before final set in position. You'll learn this technique later if not now (Murphy is an optimist). If it looks like too little grip, jump to a shortened 4-4. A dab of proseal on a 3 wouldn't hurt. I believe Van's still wants a dab of some stick-um at the ends before closure. That'll help, also.

John Siebold
Old 11-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Proseal stiffeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Proseal the stiffeners to the skin and never look back...

I did this to all of mine and the structure is rock solid. Good way to get your "feet wet" with the proseal (flamemaster... whatever) before you're mucking around inside of a tank.
That's how I did all my control surface stiffeners. Not a sealed install. Just a thin layer spread with a popsicle stick. I used a section of particle board, match drilled and just clekoed them to the skin against the board. Left for several days to cure. Stiff as a proverbial board.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.