Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Job Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Boeing St. Louis is hiring a lot of engineers. 750 total in US
https://jobs.boeing.com/location/uni...IaAs-bEALw_wcB
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 PM

Default Raytheon Missile Systems-Tucson

I am at the end of my career at Raytheon as are many and we need young bright engineers to carry the torch.

If he is interested in some challenging opportunities check out RayJobs on the internet.

Tucson in a decent place to live.

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 12 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Thank you everyone!! I have forwarded all of the opportunities and tips to him. He is also very thankful. He told me tonight he has gotten 2 denial emails from Jacobs and Aerojet, but is under consideration for 3 other Jacobs positions. Hopefully it gets as far as checking references because his NASA mentor will give him a good one.
Dues paid Dec 18
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 AM

Default Airlines?

Has he given any thought to one of the airlines? They hire engineers for performance engineering, as liaisons to technical operations (maintenance) and various other roles.

The salary may not be as good as with a Raytheon or Boeing, but there are free and reduced-rate travel benefits not available from "traditional" engineering firms.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction
Old 11-07-2019, 06:23 AM

Default Greensboro NC is an option.

I have been in the Airline and MRO (Mod,Repair,Overhaul) business for 40 years, and worked Liason Engineering on and off in both businesses. Greensboro NC has a huge aviation MFG and repair network, and the company I work for (HAECO) has engineering positions in the MRO as well as the MFG side of our company posted fairly regularly. Also, Honda is right down the street where the Hondajet is built and serviced. Several other aircraft support companies are also in the region. The up and coming engineer will need "entry" positions that aren't always glamorous, but pave the way to so many opportunities. Ironically,in my experience, the Airlines and MRO's have very few engineers with an actual diploma, except the ones that find their way to the big desk. Best of luck to the new engineer!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:10 AM

Northrop Grumman, San Diego
My son graduates from the University of San Diego next year & has already received a firm job offer. He interned there the last couple of years so his hiring was seamless. They are always looking to bring in young talent.
2019 Donation Paid
Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
The up and coming engineer will need "entry" positions that aren't always glamorous, but pave the way to so many opportunities. Ironically,in my experience, the Airlines and MRO's have very few engineers with an actual diploma, except the ones that find their way to the big desk. Best of luck to the new engineer!
At least in my experience, it seems most brand-new AEs see MRO/in-service work as sort of beneath them--they're all about designing the next new shiny thing and changing the world or somesuch.

I moved into that world five years ago (it's been that long already?!) and now I don't think I'd ever want to go back to new product development.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:19 AM

I am a manager here at Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems in Texas, though not in engineering. I am also an ERAU Alumni (Prescott). If he finds something he really likes out this way, send me a note. I probably know the hiring manager.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Default What does he really want to do?

I spent 40 years doing a job that felt important and paid very well for my education level. I never enjoyed my job or the stress it brought into my life.

At the time, though, it seemed like this was all I could do and I was good at it. I just kept moving forward. I never stopped to ask myself if I was happy. I was surviving in a big city and considered myself "successful".

I look back now and all I can think of is, "what a waste".

If I had started my life with the question, "what am I passionate about"? What do I love doing? What would make me happy to get up every morning? - I would have ended up a better, happier, person.

I think the worst part of those years was always being subjugated to a company and a boss. It can be soul-killing.

Your son has had an awesome education. If he's really passionate about space - then focus TOTALLY on that. Don't settle for some other job because it pays the bills.

Also, consider starting his own company if there is something in his life he loves. The education he has will serve him well no matter what job he has. Find something he really enjoys and figure out a way to make some money at it.

I know its easy for me to be flippant when I'm not the one who has the bills to pay, or other obligations. Yet, I think there can be a dangerous mindset when you start out life with the basic concept that you have to get a job, any job, "to pay the bills".

I think a person might have a happier life if they started out with the idea that they are going to work in a area they love regardless of the long-term financial benefits.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Default .02

This discussion hits close to home; I too, was bore sighted on everything SPACE. Everything I did to get my degree was space oriented. I had dreams of working on the Shuttle program and was well on my way...

...and then Life intervened...

Challenger blew up.

Having a degree that is incredibly specialized, means absolutely nothing when there are no jobs to be had.

I then found out the importance of diversity in education. I would have been MUCH better off to be a Mechanical Engineer with a specialization in Spacecraft, than an Aerospace Engineer; the ME degree opens more doors than the specialized AeroE degree.

Not that it mattered, after Challenger, my life path took a turn, and I found that I far preferred the flying route. Now, after all these years as a Professional Pilot, I am glad that I opted to change my course and pursue what I really love.

...and the view from my office is absolutely stunning...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+