VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Default TruTrak A/P and new Garmin Navigators

Anyone successfully interfaced a TruTrak Vizion a/p with one of the new Garmin IFR navigators, e.g., GPS175, GNX375 or GNC355?

I recently spoke to the guys at TruTrak and they were not aware of anyone yet. The new navigators are not on their approved GPS list. But Iíve got to believe there are installs out there.

Iím hoping the new units output the same RS232 and AIRINC data as the 430 and 650 series. The TruTrak guy seemed to think so.

Iím ready to pull the trigger and order a 175 but want to make sure itís compatible with my existing Vizion a/p. Canít wait to fly those coupled LPV approaches!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM

Iím sure it will just use the standard ARINC A and B and the RS232 like a 430 or 650.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillard View Post
Anyone successfully interfaced a TruTrak Vizion a/p with one of the new Garmin IFR navigators, e.g., GPS175, GNX375 or GNC355?

I recently spoke to the guys at TruTrak and they were not aware of anyone yet. The new navigators are not on their approved GPS list. But Iíve got to believe there are installs out there.

Iím hoping the new units output the same RS232 and AIRINC data as the 430 and 650 series. The TruTrak guy seemed to think so.

Iím ready to pull the trigger and order a 175 but want to make sure itís compatible with my existing Vizion a/p. Canít wait to fly those coupled LPV approaches!
Hello Peter,

We haven't tested this, but it appears that the Vizion 385 uses "Aviation Output 1" RS-232 format and "GAMA Format 1" low speed ARINC 429 format.

The Garmin GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375 navigators all support these formats.

Let us know if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Thanks Steve. Thatís good to know.

As a Garmin tech can I ask you one more question? In the Procedures section of the GPS175 Pilotís Guide under Feature Requirements it says that a ďbaro-corrected altitude sourceĒ is recommended (which I donít have) and therefore, altitude leg types require manual sequencing.

What does that mean?

Thanks...Peter
Old 11-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillard View Post
Thanks Steve. Thatís good to know.

As a Garmin tech can I ask you one more question? In the Procedures section of the GPS175 Pilotís Guide under Feature Requirements it says that a ďbaro-corrected altitude sourceĒ is recommended (which I donít have) and therefore, altitude leg types require manual sequencing.

What does that mean?

Thanks...Peter
Hello Peter,

You are welcome.

The most common case where it is useful to have a baro corrected altitude source is for missed approaches such as KTOP RNAV (GPS) RWY 18.

The missed approach procedure is "Climb to 1500' then climbing right turn to 3600' direct GUKEC and hold".

When this missed approach procedure is flown with a GPS 175 receiving baro corrected altitude, all leg sequencing is continuous and automatic because the GPS 175 can "watch" you climb to 1500' and automatically transition to the right turn leg after you reach 1500'.

In the absence of this information, leg sequencing is suspended, and the pilot has to unsuspend to activate the right turn leg after the climb to 1500' is complete.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Understood. Thanks so much Steve. The 175 has been ordered!

Peter