VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-05-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Turbo sizing

Thanks for looking over the numbers. I'm good with things.

Charlie.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Default installed fuel system

More progress!

I have installed the dual fuel pump, dual filter, check valve fuel system on my plane and it worked perfect. I posted a picture of it a while back.

I used 3/8 copper/nickel hard line instead of braided rubber and instead of aluminum because it is not subject to fire like braided hose, and it is about 5 times stronger than aluminum only a fraction of weight more, and it is inexpensive and very easy to work with.

Since I have the radiator under the belly of the plane that is enclosed in a custom aluminum sheet duct, it made for a perfect solution to hide the fuel system. I know it will be a compromise to the flow of air in to the radiator because it hangs down in front of the radiator, (I know Ross wont like the sight of that! Since his is so skillfully streamlined - Sorry Ross) but I am also confident the radiator and ducting will still provide all the cooling I need. I suspect I may lose 3-4 MPH on the top end from this but I never intended on building a racer.

The other benefit is that I do not have any fuel fittings in the cabin of the plane. To me, that is a plus. It will also make it easy to service as I used an6 fittings in strategic places to make changing the fuel filters easy.

I did a static fuel flow test using different combinations of one tank and one pump to both tanks with both pumps. One the least flow was with the back up pump using only one tank still produced 30 gph. Both tanks and both pumps flowed about 70 gph. I am using dual wasbro GSL393 pumps.

The bad news is that I am having to pull the engine to take off the nose gear to get it modified at the machine shop to comply with the Servie Bulletin. What a pain! but...gotta do it.

Next I am going to start working on a shroud for the intercooler.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 11-11-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Default Venting the crankcase and valve cover space

One important task when turbocharging an engine is to recognize the potential that pressure may develop in the crankcase if measures are not taken to vent the crankcase beyond what is normally accomplished by the PCV.

When you add turbocharging you add positive pressure to the intake manifold, which by its very nature eliminates vacuum from the intake, which prevents the PCV from being able to vent the gases in the crankcase.

One solution to consider is to add a line from the crankcase to an oil catch can. This is often done in lieu of the PCV. The reason for this is that in order for the PCV to work effectively, it needs vacuum.

Here is a pic of a push-to-connect nylon line where the PCV used to be that is connected to an oil catch can.

The same is true for the valve cover, it needs to be able to vent pressure and the best way is to connect a line to a catch can as well. Here is a pic of a push-to-connect with a nylon line on it as well.

[Reference to using smaller line removed ....]

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

If these are the only crankcase vent lines, I'd suggest upping the size considerably. Minimum I'd run on a turbo engine would be a single 1/2" ID.

If you've ever seen a turbo engine on the dyno at full chat, you'd see a very high rate of flow from here which can build up a lot of crankcase pressure quickly.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Default Crank vent lines

Ross

I know some high boost guys need big lines. I'm only at 5 lbs boost. It would be interesting to see if there was still pressure using a 1/4" at 5lbs. Now my curiosity may cause me to dig out a low pressure ga...and put it to use.

Good thought!

P.s. I know there can be quite a difference between engines. Some will have much more blow-by than others.

Thanks.

Charlie.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Default crankcase pressure

I was able to get a MAP pressure gauge connected to the 1/4" line off of the crankcase and valve cover. I did a bench test on the gauge first just to make sure it was reasonably accurate.

I am fortunate that this engine did not create any appreciable pressure at 5 lbs of boost with the 1/4" vent lines. If it did, it was less than what I could see on the MAP gauge I was using, probably 1 lb or less.

This is certainly not to suggest that a 1/4" line will be enough for other engines with turbos. It would be wise for anyone with a turbo set up to test their system to make sure they have adequate venting. There are many folks who use larger lines to vent their crankcases and valve covers.

Charlie
Old Today, 07:17 AM

Good to test and have some numbers. I'd say you have very good ring sealing on your engine. Continue on!

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm